Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

cole_lehmkuhler
Helper II
Helper II

Help with modeling my information/ "Do Not Summarize" missing problem

Okay so I have a few calculated percentages based 5 year warrenties that a company has to hand out in relation to total sales the company makes. I have the original purchase date of these items as the axis, but I also have a table of the Days in Service before these warrenties were claimed category as long as the date these claims were made. I'm moving this over from an excel file, but can't get my numbers to aggregate correctly. I'm trying to use the days in service category as my legend because I'm told to get the breakdown of whether the claim came after 0-90 days, 91-365 days, year 2, year 3, year 4, or year 5 after having the item. I have the purchase date in the axis again, the Days in service category in the legend field, and the percentages of warranties per total sales category in the values field. I also have the table below from excel which I figured would help to break up each section, but it hasn't helped. I think the whole problem has to do with an aggregate though, because I can't pick "do not summarize" so I have to either count my percentages or use the minimum or maximum of the percentages which obviously throws the numbers off. If this is confusing and you would like more information I should be able to respond quickly with a response to this and maybe a few pictures. Thanks!

START STOP DIS Label Days in Service

0900 -90 DAYS0-90
9136591-365 DAYS91-365
366730YEAR 2366-730
7311095YEAR 3731-1095
10961460YEAR 41096-1460
14611825YEAR 51461-1825
18262190YEAR 61826-2190
21912555YEAR 72191-2555
25562920YEAR 82556-2920
2921 No Purch Date2921
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thanks.  I think that if you have this as a Calculation in the data, on each row, PBI needs to cummarize it some how.  Try breakin down that calculation and creating it in the object, so you are getting a % for the data in PBI.  does that make sense?  The formula might look something like:  (Sum(Warranty$)/Sum(Adjusted$)).

That will give you a total percentage that you can then break up by Interval category and plot that over time.

See if that works for you and let me know,

Nate

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Nhallquist
Helper V
Helper V

You are using a Date on the axis and then the Interaval range as the legend.  You have to summarize the legend.  Let's take a look at what you are trying to do.  What question do you want the chart to answer? Do you have an example of this chart, like a picture or drawing?  

Let us know,

Nate

Thanks Nate, I want the chart to answer the total percentages of warrenties paid to total sales, but I need to be able to break it down by year, quarter, and month for the years 2013, 2014, 2015, and 2016. I also need the chart to be broken down to where I can see which warrenties were 0-90 days, 91-365 days, etc. Capture.PNG

Here is my chart as of now, notice how all values are the same because I'm forced to take the max of my column "percentages of warrenties per adjusted sales (I meant adjusted sales in previous messages my mistake)

OK.  We can work with Drill downs later, that will get us from the year level to the Quarter pretty quick.  I don't understand your calculation "percentages of warrenties per adjusted sales".  can you elaborate on that?  Are you looking at warranty $$'s against Adjusted Sales $$'s?

Yes exactly that. I created the column just by dividing the amount of money due to warenties that were paid out by the amount of adjusted sales. They are both currency fields

Thanks.  I think that if you have this as a Calculation in the data, on each row, PBI needs to cummarize it some how.  Try breakin down that calculation and creating it in the object, so you are getting a % for the data in PBI.  does that make sense?  The formula might look something like:  (Sum(Warranty$)/Sum(Adjusted$)).

That will give you a total percentage that you can then break up by Interval category and plot that over time.

See if that works for you and let me know,

Nate

That worked thanks a lot for your help!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.