Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Tihannah
Resolver I
Resolver I

Help with modeling multiple date relationships

Trying to figure out how to model a dataset with several date conditions in the data.

I have - 

Create Date

Business Date

Cancel Date

On Sales Count and Sales Revenue.

Normally I would just create a calendar table to join on one date, but not sure how to configure this. The business wants to see how many sales created, i.e. reserved, and how many canceled, to get to the net on Business date and be able to forecast and budget.

I have these in a filter, but they are not playing well together and I'm not sure what the metrics should be built off of for PY. If I use a Calendar Dimension table, it can only join to one of them.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
marcelsmaglhaes
Super User
Super User

Hey @Tihannah 

You will need to choose one date to be the mandatory in relationship (maybe create or business date). The others dates, you will create a relationship too, but they will be inactived. After that you need write your DAX measure using the function USERELATIONSHIP (USERELATIONSHIP function (DAX) - DAX | Microsoft Learn)

If this posts helps, please mark as solved to help other user find quickly in ou community!

Regards,
Marcel

Regards,
Marcel Magalhães
Microsoft Power BI Official Partner
MCT | Certified PL-300 Power BI

If I've helped, don't forget to mark my post as a solution!
Imagem de fundo

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
marcelsmaglhaes
Super User
Super User

Hey @Tihannah 

You will need to choose one date to be the mandatory in relationship (maybe create or business date). The others dates, you will create a relationship too, but they will be inactived. After that you need write your DAX measure using the function USERELATIONSHIP (USERELATIONSHIP function (DAX) - DAX | Microsoft Learn)

If this posts helps, please mark as solved to help other user find quickly in ou community!

Regards,
Marcel

Regards,
Marcel Magalhães

Imagem de fundo

Okay, so I still use a Calender dimension table and create the relation with say "business date". I get using the USERELATIONSHIP function, but how would I create a relationship with the others?

You can create in the same way that you create the relation with business date. Just drag and drop the dates. They relationships will create and they will be unactived automatically and then you can use the DAX function.

Regards,
Marcel

Regards,
Marcel Magalhães

Imagem de fundo

Currently, the Create Date and Business Dates are set up as dimentsion tables also. Do I create the relationship to those or to the actual fact table that contains them. I always thought I could only create one relation to the tables?

You should have just one dimension calendar table and related this one with you fact table.

Power BI just allow one active relationship. You can create more then one, but these will be deactived to use in DAX measures. 😃

Regards,
Marcel Magalhães

Imagem de fundo

Gotcha!  Totally worked! Thank you!!!!

Nice @Tihannah 😃

Please consider mark as solved to help other users find quickly in our community!

Regards

Regards,
Marcel Magalhães

Imagem de fundo

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.