Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Help with last month, last two months and sum of last three months

Hello all!!

I have this issue, and I dont know what is wrong in the dax,

I have this matrix with this format.

lastmonth.JPG

Im using this formulas to calculate the last month selected and the last two months select

Actual Last Month = CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[Amount]),DATEADD('Date'[Date],-1,MONTH))
Actual Last 2 Month = CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[Amount]),DATEADD('Date'[Date],-2,MONTH))

For example If select all the months, with Actual Last Month, I hope to obtain the value of december
and with actual last 2 Month, i hope to obtain the value of november.
And I recieved another values.

With the formula 
Actual Last 3 Month = CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[Amount]),DATESINPERIOD('Date'[Date],MAX('Date'[Date]),-3,MONTH))
I hope to obtain the sum of the last 3 months, I think is the only correct, but im not sure about it.

I hope someone could help me with this issue.

Thanks a lot.
Monica
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-deddai1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

According to your description, you want to show value for december as last month , show value for november as last 2 month and show value for october , december and november as last 3 month when you select all values in month name slicer ,am I right?

Just use the following measure depend on  measure in your pbix file:

Amount Actual = SWITCH(TRUE(),[Selection Measure]=1,[January],[Selection Measure]=2,[February],[Selection Measure]=3,[March],[Selection Measure]=4,[April],[Selection Measure]=5,[May],[Selection Measure]=6,[June], [Selection Measure]=7,[July], [Selection Measure]=8,[August], [Selection Measure]=9,[September],[Selection Measure]=10,[October], [Selection Measure]=11,[November],[Selection Measure]=12,[December],[Selection Measure]=13,IF(HASONEVALUE('Date'[Month Name]),[Actual Last Month],[December]),[Selection Measure]=14,[Amount YTD], [Selection Measure]=15,IF(HASONEVALUE('Date'[Month Name]),[Actual Last 2 Month],[November]),[Selection Measure]=16,[Actual Last 3 Month])

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-deddai1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

According to your description, you want to show value for december as last month , show value for november as last 2 month and show value for october , december and november as last 3 month when you select all values in month name slicer ,am I right?

Just use the following measure depend on  measure in your pbix file:

Amount Actual = SWITCH(TRUE(),[Selection Measure]=1,[January],[Selection Measure]=2,[February],[Selection Measure]=3,[March],[Selection Measure]=4,[April],[Selection Measure]=5,[May],[Selection Measure]=6,[June], [Selection Measure]=7,[July], [Selection Measure]=8,[August], [Selection Measure]=9,[September],[Selection Measure]=10,[October], [Selection Measure]=11,[November],[Selection Measure]=12,[December],[Selection Measure]=13,IF(HASONEVALUE('Date'[Month Name]),[Actual Last Month],[December]),[Selection Measure]=14,[Amount YTD], [Selection Measure]=15,IF(HASONEVALUE('Date'[Month Name]),[Actual Last 2 Month],[November]),[Selection Measure]=16,[Actual Last 3 Month])

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous - These may help. I often find that it is better to be explicit about my filtering rather than rely on a generally imperfect understanding of the black boxes that are the time "intelligence" functions.

You may find this helpful - https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/To-bleep-With-Time-Intelligence/ba-p/1260000

Also, see if my Time Intelligence the Hard Way provides a different way of accomplishing what you are going for.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Quick-Measures-Gallery/Time-Intelligence-quot-The-Hard-Way-quot-TITHW/m-p/434008

DATEADD is a particularly nasty function, there's a reason I saved it until last.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , these formula seems correct. But seem like you have there can be a problem with what do get this kind of display. Please reconsider that.

As there is a disconnected table that can change the numbers.

Actual the measure name table is creating a cartesian with your time intelligence measure. They seem correct to me.

Refer the page 2 of the attached file.

You are looking for a hybrid table, I logged and idea for that

https://ideas.powerbi.com/ideas/idea/?ideaid=9bc32b23-1eb1-4e74-8b34-349887b37ebc

Power BI — MTD
https://medium.com/@amitchandak.1978/power-bi-mtd-questions-time-intelligence-3-5-64b0b4a4090e

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.