Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

AusJon
Frequent Visitor

Help with filling in values based on previous data

Hi, I need some help with creating charts based on data that is only stored on change. This makes the series incomplete and when generating a chart by date I can only get it to display the totals for each day based off what was reported in on that day, not estimate using prior data. We also have no end date for the data, we need to assume everything in the future past the timestamp is set the same way.

Here is some example data

Name

Compliant

Timestamp

ItemA

FALSE

2018-09-04

ItemB

FALSE

2018-09-04

ItemA

TRUE

2018-09-05

ItemA

FALSE

2018-09-06

ItemB

TRUE

2018-09-08

ItemA

TRUE

2018-09-08

ItemB

FALSE

2018-09-10

As items only report in when they change, we know that ItemB was false on every day from the 4th until the 8th when it changed to TRUE. But doing a graph looking for all FALSE items broken down by day ends up looking something like this:

image.png

Sorry if this has been asked before or an easy fix, I am still very new to PowerBI. I found a lot of posts about slowly changing dimensions and I think this is simular but doesn't include the end date for the data so a lot of the examples I couldn't get to work.

Do I need to fill in the blank days with the correct data so we have a record for every day in the table? Or can it be simulated with some DAX code?

2 REPLIES 2
v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

hi,@AusJon

After my research, you can do these like below:

Step1:

Duplicate the basic table and add Index column for two table

Basic table is from 0 and increment is 1, Duplicate table is from 1 and increment is 1

Step 2:

Add a custom column for Duplicate table

6.PNG

Step3:

Merge these two tables

7.PNG

Step4:

Expand the table and sort by column Index

Step5:

Add the index column from 1 and increment is 1

Rename column Timestamp with Sart and rename Table1 (2).Timestamp with End 

Close&Apply

8.PNG

Step6:

Create a date table by the function like: CALENDARAUTO( )

Add a column for merge table

Tag = IF(CALCULATE(MIN(Merge1[Index.1]),FILTER(Merge1,Merge1[Start]<=Merge1[End]&&EARLIER(Merge1[Index])=Merge1[Index]))=Merge1[Index.1]||CALCULATE(MAX(Merge1[Start]),FILTER(Merge1,Merge1[Name]=EARLIER(Merge1[Name])))=Merge1[Start],Merge1[Index.1])

9.PNG

Step7:

Create a calculate table

Table = FILTER(CROSSJOIN(Merge1,'Date'),OR('Date'[Date]>=Merge1[Start]&&'Date'[Date]<Merge1[End]&&Merge1[Tag]>0,CALCULATE(MAX(Merge1[Start]),FILTER(Merge1,Merge1[Name]=EARLIER(Merge1[Name])))='Date'[Date]&&Merge1[Maxdate]=Merge1[Start]))

10.PNG

Step8:

Rename the messy column, then drag filed from New Table.

Result:

11.PNG

Here is demo, please try it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m2z2y9lpp3pfejq/Help%20with%20filling%20in%20values%20based%20on%20previou...

Best Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks for the detailed explination Lin. Explains why I did get suck, it isn't simple!

I'll study your examples and hopefully will be able to get it working.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.