Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Help with estimating

Hello

I have a simple file which is based on a regulatory returns a company submits to a regulatory body.  The company submits this file at the end of each financial year and the revenue amongst other things is then used to determine regulatory fees.  If a company does not submit on time then their fees are based on their previous year's revenue.  I wanted to be able to calculate the company's (c in the below example) estimated revenue for  FY19/20 as they have yet to submit.  I also wanted to calculate the whole revenue for all companies for FY19/20 including the estimated values however I am stuck on how to start both points as it means trying to create a value for company c for FY19/20 when it doesn't exist.  I'm sure there must be a solution and I hope you can help.

Thanks in advance

Jo

CompanyFinancial YearRevenue
AFY17/1810
AFY18/1920
AFY19/2030
BFY17/1815
BFY18/1932
BFY19/2045
CFY17/1820
CFY18/1940
4 REPLIES 4
V-pazhen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@Anonymous 

I create a sample with blank revenue for FY19/20. You need to create an Index Column to get the revenue from previous row (previews FY) as Est Revenue.

BTW, I am not sure if this is your requirement, but it is not possible to add a row from no where in to the current table, you need to have the Company or FY in the first place.

Est Revenue = IF('Table'[Revenue]=BLANK(),CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[Revenue]),FILTER('Table',[Index]=EARLIER('Table'[Index])-1),ALLEXCEPT('Table','Table'[Company])))

company fy revenue.JPG

Paul Zheng _ Community Support Team
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

So what is your formula for calculating estimated revenue? Average of the previous years? maximum, minimum?

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Greg

Apologies for not mentioning in the original post.  It's just basically the revenue from the previous financial year.

Thanks for your help

Jo

I would use an Enter Data query to enter your estimates. Then you could use UNION to union the two tables together and perform operations on them.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.