Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

AbbasAsaria90
Helper I
Helper I

Help with complicated CALCULATE function

Background to data structure:

Our users do an action which is called ‘publishing a work.’ In our database, this is reflected in a table where work_id is the primary key, and there are other columns called e.g., user_id, time_published

The table we have aggregated in our Data Warehouse (which is what is imported into Power BI) has columns (user_id, user_email, day, delivered). So if a user publishes n works on a 2017-12-19, there will be a row with [id, email, 2017-12-19, n] – but if a they did not publish anything on 2017-12-18, there is no row for that.

Problem

From this it’s easy to count how many users published a work in a time period, but I’m stuck to try and see how many users did not publish in a series of two week periods.

I have a table called All emails, with all user emails, and I made a calculated table for my relevant time periods called Thursdays

I tried something like the above to count emails where if you count how many works that email published in a time period, the result is blank – though that isn’t working for me.

did not publish in two weeks prior = calculate(
distinctcount('All emails'[email]),
filter('All emails',
    CALCULATE(distinctcount(pobbledb_works_published[email]),
            filter(pobbledb_works_published,
            and('Thursdays'[thursday_of_week] > pobbledb_works_published[delivered],
                 pobbledb_works_published[delivered] > 'Thursdays'[thursday_of_week] - 14))) = blank() ))

Would any of you have any idea how to

• Write some DAX to calculate what I’m after with my current data structure? [e.g., some nested calculate function like the one I tried]
  • Or Restructure my data to make what I’m after easier?

Thanks very much!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-chuncz-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@AbbasAsaria90,

You just need to add the following boolean expression to FILTER Function.

&& pobbledb_works_published[email] = 'All emails'[email]

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-chuncz-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@AbbasAsaria90,

You just need to add the following boolean expression to FILTER Function.

&& pobbledb_works_published[email] = 'All emails'[email]

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Sorry for the late reply - but yes that's perfect thanks!

Abbas

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.