Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Help with circular reference calculation

Hello,

I need to perform a difficult calculation on my model and I can not seem to find the answer to this.

The context is:

Every month I have a total cost, but I have a limit on how much I can pay, if the cost exceeds this limit I have to carry the difference to next month.

The problem is that this calculation is giving me the circular reference problem.

Illustration of the problem:

gfonteles94_0-1638133864963.png

The problem is that the current red row references the previous orange row, which references the previous red row, I have no idea of how to solve this issue on power bi.

Can anyone help me?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Vera_33
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Anonymous 

What are your original columns? I got Month, Cost, Limit only, then 3 Calculated columns

Vera_33_0-1638146069244.png

Difference = 
VAR CurMonth = 'Table'[Month]
VAR T1=FILTER('Table','Table'[Month]<=CurMonth)
RETURN
SUMX(T1,[Cost]-[Limit])

Previous Month = 
MAXX(FILTER('Table','Table'[Month]=EDATE( EARLIER('Table'[Month]),-1)),[Difference])

Total = [Cost]+[Previous Month]

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Vera_33
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Anonymous 

What are your original columns? I got Month, Cost, Limit only, then 3 Calculated columns

Vera_33_0-1638146069244.png

Difference = 
VAR CurMonth = 'Table'[Month]
VAR T1=FILTER('Table','Table'[Month]<=CurMonth)
RETURN
SUMX(T1,[Cost]-[Limit])

Previous Month = 
MAXX(FILTER('Table','Table'[Month]=EDATE( EARLIER('Table'[Month]),-1)),[Difference])

Total = [Cost]+[Previous Month]

Anonymous
Not applicable

gfonteles94_0-1638151984273.png

Works perfectly! I just included an if statement on the difference to yield '0' if negative, this way we won't accumulate negative values at the difference.

If you have the time, could you explain to me why this works ??

I was trying using Calculate(sum(difference, Filter (previous month)) and it was not working, giving the circular error

Hi @Anonymous 

I don't have enough context to understand how you calculated all the values, are they all DAX Calculated columns or measures? Have you checked if there is certain value like referencing each other?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.