Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Help with calculate measure with 4 filters

Hello.

I need help with a calculations based on 4 slicers filtering the table.

I was wondering if it's possible to have like a lookup to bring me the correct value.

Bellow you can find my slicers and my table.

TBL_Automation (this is my raw data it has a structure of Indicator || Month || Year || Complaint || Total ||)

Salgas_0-1615795465968.png

TBL_Automation_Indicator (this is the table only to show the values per month, YTD, Trends etc, based on the filters)

Salgas_1-1615795673915.png

Slicers tables:

COD_Calendar (has the year and Month), COD_Region (has Area and Country) and COD_Product

Salgas_2-1615795845694.png

What i intend to have is for example to calculate the measure for this indicators is basic Complaint/Total, however what i can not do is to only show the calculation based on a selection Year || Month|| Area || Country || Product.

if we have 2020 || Jan || Area Central || Germany || Air

The value should filter the raw data table and get me the value for complaint and total.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

@Anonymous 

Ok, cool. So this sounds like a modelling question then.

In that case, all you need to do in the model screen is to drag COD_Region[Country] to TBL_X[Country], and COD_Product[Product] to TBL_X[Product]. If your COD_X tables are set up correctly, this should create One-to-Many relationships from COD_X to TBL_X.

Your COD_Calendar table needs a little extra work. You will need to merge the fields in this table, as well as the [Month] and [Year] fields in each of your TBL_X tables into new fields, called [monthYear] or similar. You would then drag COD_Calendar[monthYear] to each TBL_X[monthYear] to, again, create One-to-Many relationships.

Once the model is built, you would make sure to always use the fields from your COD_X tables in visuals and slicers. This will then filter all of your TBL_X data correctly.

Pete

Now accepting Kudos! If my post helped you, why not give it a thumbs-up?

Proud to be a Datanaut!

View solution in original post

@Anonymous ,

You will need to create a measure that calculates your metric over all of your TBL_X tables, if that's what you want it to do.

I guess something like this would work:

complaint% =
VAR complaints =
SUM(TBL_X1[Complaint]) + SUM(TBL_X2[Complaint]) + SUM(TBL_X3[Complaint])
VAR total =
SUM(TBL_X1[Total]) + SUM(TBL_X2[Total]) + SUM(TBL_X3[Total])
RETURN
complaints / total

If all of your TBL_X tables contain the same fields and data, it might be worth looking into appending them together in Power Query. This would then avoid jumping through hoops like this when you are creating measures.

Pete 

Proud to be a Datanaut!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
BA_Pete
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous ,

There's a couple of things to unpack here but the first question is:

How you are expecting to be able to filter on [Area], [Country], and [Product] when it doesn't look like your fact table (TBL_Automation) has any fields in it that pertain to these dimensions?

Your fact table HAS to have these dimensions in for the data to be filtered/aggregated by them.

Pete

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @BA_Pete 

Sorry the i didn't pass those fields for the image i sent.

TBl_Automation has those fields 

Salgas_1-1615802640342.png

Thank you in advance.

@Anonymous ,

Ah, ok. The devil is in the detail.

Is TBL_Automation the only fact table you are going to use in your data model? If so, then there's no reason for you to use any of your COD_ tables. Just use the fields from TBL_Automation in visuals/slicers and Power BI will do all the grouping and aggregation for you.

Or am I missing something here?

Pete

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@BA_Pete ,

In fact i will have 3 other tables with the same format as TBL_Automation, that would also have TBL Indicators table.

These is the reason for the COD_ tables.

@Anonymous 

Ok, cool. So this sounds like a modelling question then.

In that case, all you need to do in the model screen is to drag COD_Region[Country] to TBL_X[Country], and COD_Product[Product] to TBL_X[Product]. If your COD_X tables are set up correctly, this should create One-to-Many relationships from COD_X to TBL_X.

Your COD_Calendar table needs a little extra work. You will need to merge the fields in this table, as well as the [Month] and [Year] fields in each of your TBL_X tables into new fields, called [monthYear] or similar. You would then drag COD_Calendar[monthYear] to each TBL_X[monthYear] to, again, create One-to-Many relationships.

Once the model is built, you would make sure to always use the fields from your COD_X tables in visuals and slicers. This will then filter all of your TBL_X data correctly.

Pete

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@BA_Pete 

My issue here is that does the measure %Measure 1 = Complaint/Total, will work just applying the filters?

will the calculations be made correctly or should i use a lookup?

@Anonymous ,

You will need to create a measure that calculates your metric over all of your TBL_X tables, if that's what you want it to do.

I guess something like this would work:

complaint% =
VAR complaints =
SUM(TBL_X1[Complaint]) + SUM(TBL_X2[Complaint]) + SUM(TBL_X3[Complaint])
VAR total =
SUM(TBL_X1[Total]) + SUM(TBL_X2[Total]) + SUM(TBL_X3[Total])
RETURN
complaints / total

If all of your TBL_X tables contain the same fields and data, it might be worth looking into appending them together in Power Query. This would then avoid jumping through hoops like this when you are creating measures.

Pete 

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.