Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Help with burndown charts from VSTS data

Can someone please help me find a solution. Nothing I see on these blogs will work. I have historical data from VSTS and need to create a burndown chart. This is Remaining work aggregated by Changed Date and with the Is Current flag.  Please help. history.JPGo Calender DIM. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

no that does not work because there is no cummulative total just the remaining work at any one point in time. Not a real burndown. 

I got it to work with the following steps provided as guidance from a friend.

Step 1: Took the history table and subtracted the “Is Current Values” between True and False records.
TrueFalseDiff = 
var remtru = 
CALCULATE('Work Items - Last 26 Weeks history'[Total Remaining],'Work Items - Last 26 Weeks history'[Is Current] = TRUE)
var remfls = 
CALCULATE('Work Items - Last 26 Weeks history'[Total Remaining],'Work Items - Last 26 Weeks history'[Is Current] = FALSE)
return (remfls-remtru)

Step 2: Created cumulative total followed by subtracting the true false diff:
Cumulativetot = 
var runtot = CALCULATE (
SUM ( 'Work Items - Last 26 Weeks history'[Remaining Work] ),
FILTER (
ALL ( 'Work Items - Last 26 Weeks history'[Changed Date] ),
'Work Items - Last 26 Weeks history'[Changed Date] <= Max('Work Items - Last 26 Weeks history'[Changed Date] )))
return (runtot-[TrueFalseDiff])

Finally I took the categorical line chart and extended the date to the end of my pseudo sprint:
And wahla.

burndown.JPG

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
arsaveli
Helper I
Helper I

Hi!

Looks like you are trying to create manual burndown DAX calculation. Since you are querying WorkItemSnapshot, it already has "Remaining Work" column - you can simply plot that by date and get basic burndown, without any DAX.

Anonymous
Not applicable

no that does not work because there is no cummulative total just the remaining work at any one point in time. Not a real burndown. 

I got it to work with the following steps provided as guidance from a friend.

Step 1: Took the history table and subtracted the “Is Current Values” between True and False records.
TrueFalseDiff = 
var remtru = 
CALCULATE('Work Items - Last 26 Weeks history'[Total Remaining],'Work Items - Last 26 Weeks history'[Is Current] = TRUE)
var remfls = 
CALCULATE('Work Items - Last 26 Weeks history'[Total Remaining],'Work Items - Last 26 Weeks history'[Is Current] = FALSE)
return (remfls-remtru)

Step 2: Created cumulative total followed by subtracting the true false diff:
Cumulativetot = 
var runtot = CALCULATE (
SUM ( 'Work Items - Last 26 Weeks history'[Remaining Work] ),
FILTER (
ALL ( 'Work Items - Last 26 Weeks history'[Changed Date] ),
'Work Items - Last 26 Weeks history'[Changed Date] <= Max('Work Items - Last 26 Weeks history'[Changed Date] )))
return (runtot-[TrueFalseDiff])

Finally I took the categorical line chart and extended the date to the end of my pseudo sprint:
And wahla.

burndown.JPG

Hi @Anonymous, you forgot to mention where you got [Total Remaining] from...I'm guessing it is also calculated...

Anonymous
Not applicable

Remaining work summation or Original Estimate minus Completed Work.

quentin_vigne
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @Anonymous

Could you please provide us a sample of your data (with tablename) as a table or a text so we can copy / paste that ?

And please post us expected result

More information on how to get your question answered and how to post datas : https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-Get-Your-Question-Answered-Quickly/ba-p/38490

Anonymous
Not applicable

Using the Work Items - 26 weeks with History table . You can see the burndown measures I have writen that  do not work.

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AmzXCjqiGtRovm0eOgsWBAYfjv17

@Anonymous

I can't download your file, don't know why 

- Quentin

Anonymous
Not applicable

it's wide open. Anyone with the link can edit. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.