Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

trwatts
Helper I
Helper I

Help with average formula

Hi Everyone, 

I'm stumped and I am sure this is easy to do but my head has stopped operating. 

I have two tables, Table one contains three columns that contain the number of business days in the month we operate for each booking type. We can call them Type A, B, and C.

Table Two includes a list of bookings for the month, the data includes which booking type the booking was for in a single column.

What I want to do is divide the number of bookings in the month in table two by the number of business days from table one. The formula needs to take into account the booking type.

I have a slicer to separate the booking types that needs to update the result.

I will be displaying the result in a line chart. 

Any help would be great. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-eqin-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @trwatts ,

According to my understand, you want to get the business days based on the same Type and same month in two tables, right?

You could apply these stpes to transform Table1:

1. Select Month Days in Month column -->unpivot other columns

2. Replace "type" and "Days in Month" with blank

3. Lower and trim the left characters

The whole M syntax and the final output of Table1 are show below: 

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WcixN1zW0UNJRMgBiI2MwI1YnWik4tQBJ3AAu7p9cAhG3BGJDIxABFvfLL0NSbwRX75KaDBEHKzUGM0DiXol5uoZgMyyhkhBxt9QkiDiavb6JRckZSDKGcBnHgqLMHIgMyB5DkIyxUmwsAA==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"Month Days in  Month" = _t, #"type A Days in Month" = _t, #"type B Days in Month" = _t, #"type C Days in Month" = _t]),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(Source, "Custom", each "2018 "&[Month Days in  Month]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Added Custom",{{"Custom", type date}, {"type A Days in Month", Int64.Type}, {"type B Days in Month", Int64.Type}, {"type C Days in Month", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Changed Type",{"Month Days in  Month"}),
    #"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Removed Columns",{{"Custom", "Month Days in  Month"}}),
    #"Reordered Columns" = Table.ReorderColumns(#"Renamed Columns",{"Month Days in  Month", "type A Days in Month", "type B Days in Month", "type C Days in Month"}),
    #"Unpivoted Other Columns" = Table.UnpivotOtherColumns(#"Reordered Columns", {"Month Days in  Month"}, "Attribute", "Value"),
    #"Replaced Value" = Table.ReplaceValue(#"Unpivoted Other Columns","Days in Month","",Replacer.ReplaceText,{"Attribute"}),
    #"Replaced Value1" = Table.ReplaceValue(#"Replaced Value","type","",Replacer.ReplaceText,{"Attribute"}),
    #"Lowercased Text" = Table.TransformColumns(#"Replaced Value1",{{"Attribute", Text.Lower, type text}}),
    #"Trimmed Text" = Table.TransformColumns(#"Lowercased Text",{{"Attribute", Text.Trim, type text}})
in
    #"Trimmed Text"

12.10.4.1.PNG

Now you could use the following formula to calculate the needed values:

days =
LOOKUPVALUE (
    'Table1 (2)'[Value],
    [Month Days in  Month].[MonthNo], 'Table2'[Date Booked].[MonthNo],
    'Table1 (2)'[Attribute], 'Table2'[Session Type]
)
sumCost =
CALCULATE (
    SUM ( 'Table2'[Cost] ),
    ALLEXCEPT ( 'Table2', Table2[Date Booked].[MonthNo], 'Table2'[Session Type] )
)
Measure =
DIVIDE ( MAX ( Table2[sumCost] ), MAX ( 'Table2'[days] ) )

12.10.4.2.PNG

Here is the pbix file.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,
Eyelyn Qin

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-eqin-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @trwatts ,

According to my understand, you want to get the business days based on the same Type and same month in two tables, right?

You could apply these stpes to transform Table1:

1. Select Month Days in Month column -->unpivot other columns

2. Replace "type" and "Days in Month" with blank

3. Lower and trim the left characters

The whole M syntax and the final output of Table1 are show below: 

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WcixN1zW0UNJRMgBiI2MwI1YnWik4tQBJ3AAu7p9cAhG3BGJDIxABFvfLL0NSbwRX75KaDBEHKzUGM0DiXol5uoZgMyyhkhBxt9QkiDiavb6JRckZSDKGcBnHgqLMHIgMyB5DkIyxUmwsAA==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"Month Days in  Month" = _t, #"type A Days in Month" = _t, #"type B Days in Month" = _t, #"type C Days in Month" = _t]),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(Source, "Custom", each "2018 "&[Month Days in  Month]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Added Custom",{{"Custom", type date}, {"type A Days in Month", Int64.Type}, {"type B Days in Month", Int64.Type}, {"type C Days in Month", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Changed Type",{"Month Days in  Month"}),
    #"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Removed Columns",{{"Custom", "Month Days in  Month"}}),
    #"Reordered Columns" = Table.ReorderColumns(#"Renamed Columns",{"Month Days in  Month", "type A Days in Month", "type B Days in Month", "type C Days in Month"}),
    #"Unpivoted Other Columns" = Table.UnpivotOtherColumns(#"Reordered Columns", {"Month Days in  Month"}, "Attribute", "Value"),
    #"Replaced Value" = Table.ReplaceValue(#"Unpivoted Other Columns","Days in Month","",Replacer.ReplaceText,{"Attribute"}),
    #"Replaced Value1" = Table.ReplaceValue(#"Replaced Value","type","",Replacer.ReplaceText,{"Attribute"}),
    #"Lowercased Text" = Table.TransformColumns(#"Replaced Value1",{{"Attribute", Text.Lower, type text}}),
    #"Trimmed Text" = Table.TransformColumns(#"Lowercased Text",{{"Attribute", Text.Trim, type text}})
in
    #"Trimmed Text"

12.10.4.1.PNG

Now you could use the following formula to calculate the needed values:

days =
LOOKUPVALUE (
    'Table1 (2)'[Value],
    [Month Days in  Month].[MonthNo], 'Table2'[Date Booked].[MonthNo],
    'Table1 (2)'[Attribute], 'Table2'[Session Type]
)
sumCost =
CALCULATE (
    SUM ( 'Table2'[Cost] ),
    ALLEXCEPT ( 'Table2', Table2[Date Booked].[MonthNo], 'Table2'[Session Type] )
)
Measure =
DIVIDE ( MAX ( Table2[sumCost] ), MAX ( 'Table2'[days] ) )

12.10.4.2.PNG

Here is the pbix file.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,
Eyelyn Qin

Fowmy
Super User
Super User

@trwatts 

Can you share some sample data and the expected result to have a clear understanding of your question?
You can save your files in OneDrive, Google Drive, or any other cloud sharing platforms and share the link here.

Click on the Thumbs-Up icon if you like this reply 🙂

YouTube, LinkedIn

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! and hit thumbs up

Subscribe and learn Power BI from these videos

Website LinkedIn PBI User Group

@Fowmy

I went to put the data in as a table but it wouldn't let me? I have added commas where there would normally be a column.

Data set 1

Month Days in Month, type A Days in Month, type B Days in Month, type C days in month
Aug-18, 0, 23, 0
Sep-18 0, 20, 0,
Oct-18 9 13 1
Nov-18 0 22 0
Dec-18 2 13 2
Jan-19 19 2 2
Feb-19 0 20 0
Mar-19 0 21 0
Apr-19 8 11 3

Table 2

Service Name, Date Booked, Cost, Service ID, Session Type
Location A, 3/07/2018, $23.00, 8562, a
Location A, 4/07/2018, $26.00, 8562, b
Location A 24/07/2018 $26.00 8562 b
Location A 25/07/2018 $26.00 8562 b
Location A 31/07/2018 $31.00 8562 c
Location B 1/08/2018 $26.00 8562 b
Location B 7/08/2018 $31.00 8562 c
Location B 8/08/2018 $23.00 8562 a
Location C 14/08/2018 $23.00 8562 a
Location C 15/08/2018 $23.00 8562 a
Location C 21/08/2018 $31.00 8562 c
Location C 22/08/2018 $26.00 8562 b
Location C 28/08/2018 $26.00 8562 b
Location C 29/08/2018 $26.00 8562 b
Location D 4/09/2018 $31.00 8562 c

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.