Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Help with architecture

Hi community!

I'm working in a project where my source files are all excel/csv files and I'm having trouble to build the model due to memory capacity.

Project Objetive: create a model for end users to analyze data. They prefer using Power BI Desktop rather than Power BI Service.

Source Files

• CSV Files: 50 files, around 4GB and 44 Million rows. This is updated every week with one file of 1 Million rows and 120 Mb aprox. This is hosted in a sync one drive in each user PC.
  • Excel File: 150 thousand rows, 10Mb file. This is hosted in a sync one drive in each user PC.
  • 2 more Excel Files with 3-5 thousand rows and 3Mb aprox. This is being access through SharePoint URL, users have access.

Problem

I've managed to build the model and make it work in a PC with 32 GB of RAM, initial load is quite heavy, but once done the update of each new CSV file is quick. However when trying to deploy this in each user PC I'm getting out of memory and can't load the data to the model.

Help Needed: 

• Advice on the architecture. Maybe this is the worst strategy to build the model and should directly consider uploading the CSV files to another format/place (maybe a local DB).
  • Conclude to users that Power BI Desktop is not an option and should consume the report from Power BI Service.
  • Other ideas that I'm not considering.

Help with this would be much appreciated :).

Thanks in advance!

1 REPLY 1
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous ,

For the idea that "should directly consider uploading the CSV files to another format/place (maybe a local DB).", you could connect to DB via Direct Query mode so that large data is hosted on DB server rather than stored on Power BI side.

best regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.