Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

sc_1991
Frequent Visitor

Help with Slicers

Hi, I have recently developed a dashboard that gives us general information about the vehicles that we have. I am trying to introduce a slicer on the page where I want it to perform a different operation when I select the options. 

Let me explain, there are several issues with the OBD faults that occur some of them just happen due to a servicing accident like someone accidentally unplugging the harness and some are genuine. 

So we have a way of classifying them we call the faults that occur due to some service events as non-engine related and the one that happens due to the engine as engine related. 

Now what I want is  to do something like have a slicer with just two options 

- exclude non-engine related

- exclude unclassified (the one which is not yet assigned the category as engine or non-engine related) 

Now, if the user selects the first option the data should filter out all the non-engine related events and just show engine related faults data and when he unchecks, it should give him all the data for non- engine related as well as engine related faults. 

And if he unchecks the exclude unclassified and exclude non-engine then he should be able to see all the data. i.e non-engine, engine and unclassified. 

I know it can be made easy by using three options but my requirements is to make this slicer with just two options.

Any ideas on how I should approach this?

Thanks 

1 REPLY 1
gckcmc
Resolver I
Resolver I

If I understnad your problem correctly, your table has a category for type of ODB issue, namely every row is categorized as either engine, non-engine, or classified?

if so, then you have 3 categories.  But you don't want to have a simple slicer based on that column that gives you the 3 options to filter on any of the above 3?  If that's the case, then maybe a column that builds off of this category, like:

if it's engine or unclassified then it's "A (named something you want for A)".  This gives you a collapse of those 2 values.  

you can set other combinations to abstract the 3 values into 2 based on your desire, and then use that column as your slicer.

Personally, I would just use all 3 in 1 slicer and hold down the control key to select multiples and that way you can filter any different way you want, but that's just me.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.