Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

granthworth
Helper II
Helper II

Help with Shift Slicer

Hello,

I am setting up a dashboard/report for a manufacturing company I work for. Currently, I have slicers for Year, Quarter, Month, and Week which work great.

However, I am trying to gain the ability to see data matching all of these time periods by either 1st Shift, 2nd Shift, or a summed value of both. My source data for the shifts is organized into separate columns (i.e. "Downtime 1st Shift", "Downtime 2nd Shift", etc). The problem is I couldn't insert all 3 data fields into the visualization ("1st", "2nd", and "Summed") because I would effectively get 3 data points for each date. 

From my understanding, I would basically need 2 dashboards for this (one with shifts split and one for the summed totals) or I would need some sort of slicer/selector for the "Summed" values which would sum both individual shift data points and then display as a single data point when selected. 

Am I missing something as a new user or is this a feature that has not been implemented? Thanks for the help!!!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
itchyeyeballs
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

I probably wouldn't have a column for each shift, I'd have a single column for all shifts and then a second column to identify the shift_id

Would then just need a measure to sum and a slicer to filter down from overall total to which ever shift you wanted to show.

I would also then have a shifts lookup table which would be linked to shift_id to hold meta data about shift such as name etc. This approach would also future proof the system for when management decide to implement a third shift 😉

If you want to achieve this you can use the "unpivot" function (which is a brilliant feature for normalising datasets) to reduce multiple columns into 1.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
itchyeyeballs
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

I probably wouldn't have a column for each shift, I'd have a single column for all shifts and then a second column to identify the shift_id

Would then just need a measure to sum and a slicer to filter down from overall total to which ever shift you wanted to show.

I would also then have a shifts lookup table which would be linked to shift_id to hold meta data about shift such as name etc. This approach would also future proof the system for when management decide to implement a third shift 😉

If you want to achieve this you can use the "unpivot" function (which is a brilliant feature for normalising datasets) to reduce multiple columns into 1.

Just as a side question, is it possible to keep slicers in dashboard or we can only use them in reports after clicking on Edit?

Thanks!

Only in reports

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.