Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Stemar_Aubert
Resolver I
Resolver I

Help with RLS, all documentation are out of date

Hi,

I have been looking for two days, but can not, for the life of me, find how to use RLS simply.

My data have 3 business units, and I want people to only see their relevant data. To this end, I have a RLS table with people's corporate emails, and their respective business unit.

USERBUSINESS UNIT
gavin_belson@pbi.comBU01
jared_dunn@pbi.comBU02
elrich_bachman@pbi.comBU03

and so on.

In the model, I created a relationship between the RLS and Business unit. I can filter out just fine when using a slicer on a page. It works.

However, I don't know how to create the DAX filter on the Manage roles menu. I have tried [RLS BUSINESS UNITS] = "BU01", but it doesn't work for the user.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi, Nevermind, I just figured out I needed to put the users in a group under the PBI service first for this to work.

Thanks @Anonymous

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Stemar_Aubert 

So the USER column is what I assume the USERPRINCIPALNAMEs of the users. You need to create a role for your RLS data source, not the main data source. The DAX for this should be something like [USER] = USERPRINCIPALNAME()

That way, once the user uses the dashboard, they will filter the RLS table. But this is fine, because the RLS table is connected to the main data source, so the RLS table will filter out the results in the main source to only show the relevant Business Units.

Does this make sense?

Hi, Nevermind, I just figured out I needed to put the users in a group under the PBI service first for this to work.

Thanks @Anonymous

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.