Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

teatree
Frequent Visitor

Help with Power BI maps

Hi there,

I'm new to Power BI and I'm trying to plot some data onto a map of the UK.

I currently have the postcode/county/town and can convert these into longitude/latitude if required but I wanted to know how I can add all of this data into the map so that when I scroll into a specific area it then breaks down by specific location. 

Like, if I'm looking at the UK it will show me X amount in Y region but if I zoom in I'll be able to see X amount in Y town? 

Is this possible to do? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@teatree

In this scenario, you can create a hierarchy and use the “Drill” function. Please refer to followings steps:

1. Right click the highest level (e.g. Country) and click ‘New hierarchy’.
    1.png
  2. Select other columns with lower levels and click ‘Add to Country Hierarchy’.
    2.png
  3. Drag ‘Country Hierarchy’ to Location of Map chart. Turn on Drill Mode and then you can drill down by click a specific circle (area) it then breaks down by specific circles (location).
    3.png

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@teatree In power bi maps does that for you. You have to ensure you declare columns in your table appropriately ie  proper Data Category under Modelling tab. Next when you plot these fields on map it automatically zooms into that area. If you have multiple countries it reposition itsef into center area where you can see all. Then you can decide to zoom in or out.

Capture.JPG

@ankitpatira

Thanks for responding. 

The data I have at the moment has already been categorised as below. 

PowerBILocation.JPG

On the map, it shows as below. 

UK.JPG

I would like to know if it's possible to have one circle with the value inside for the UK, and then when zooming in further it would break down in terms of hierarchy?

So, country -> region -> county -> local authority -> postcode

I hope this makes sense

Thank you

@teatree

In this scenario, you can create a hierarchy and use the “Drill” function. Please refer to followings steps:

1. Right click the highest level (e.g. Country) and click ‘New hierarchy’.
    1.png
  2. Select other columns with lower levels and click ‘Add to Country Hierarchy’.
    2.png
  3. Drag ‘Country Hierarchy’ to Location of Map chart. Turn on Drill Mode and then you can drill down by click a specific circle (area) it then breaks down by specific circles (location).
    3.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.