Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

anf1sher
Frequent Visitor

Help with JSON import from NIST

I'm trying to import the CVEs from NIST using this page.

https://nvd.nist.gov/vuln/data-feeds#JSON_FEED

I'm trying to get the ZIP feed

CVE-2018       7/6/2018

But when I bring it into Power BI it looks like this

CVE_data_type       CVE

CVE_data_format   MITRE

CVE_data_version  4.0 

I expect it to show all of the CVEs instead

5 REPLIES 5
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @anf1sher,

Here are some similar examples for your reference:

Call web API, receive ZIP, decompress multiple JSON files, Load Them

import gzip csv from web to power bi.md

Regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Either I didn't understand what they were trying say or it didn't help my problem. 

Hi anf1sher,

I've gone down this road -- it's a LOT of data for Power BI to chew through.  The following code will download the JSON in its .GZ format, unzip it, and parse it.  If you're going to be doing this for all of the CVE data (2002-2018) then you might want to make a PowerShell script to download those files and extract them to a local folder, then point Power BI to the folder contents.  If that's something you want to do, let me know and I'll share the script I wrote.

let
    NvdUrl = "https://static.nvd.nist.gov/feeds/json/cve/1.0/nvdcve-1.0-2018.json.gz",
    Source = Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Web.Contents(NvdUrl),Compression.GZip)),
    #"Converted to Table" = Record.ToTable(Source),
    Value = #"Converted to Table"{5}[Value],
    #"Converted to Table1" = Table.FromList(Value, Splitter.SplitByNothing(), null, null, ExtraValues.Error),
    #"Expanded Column1" = Table.ExpandRecordColumn(#"Converted to Table1", "Column1", {"cve", "configurations", "impact", "publishedDate", "lastModifiedDate"}, {"Column1.cve", "Column1.configurations", "Column1.impact", "Column1.publishedDate", "Column1.lastModifiedDate"})
in
    #"Expanded Column1"

You could also create a function to loop through and get 2002 thru 2018 but I don't know enough about that to be of help.

Afternoon squiddly

Would your PS script still be available for review? I'm looking to implement a similar solution; however as you have already eluded to there is a lot of data for PBI to import and as such am looking for an alternate solution.

Thank you in advance.

Denver

Hi Squiddly,

Im trying to download and extract all the CVE data from NIST (2002-2019) but am not having much luck.

You mentioned you may be able to share your script - If you could it would solve a massive headache for me.

Many thanks in advance

Ben

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.