Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

OrthoData
Frequent Visitor

Help with Filters and Slicers

All,

I currently have a measure Total Orders:= DISTINCTCOUNT( 'Orders'[Order ID]) that gives me the total number of orders in the fact table below. I have a slicer built off field marked 1. in the screenshot which has a number of categories. This successfully filters all visuals on a page using the Total Orders measure. 

Data Model.png

My issue is that some of the categories from that slicer have only specific Payors applicable and should be filtered out when selected. These payors are grouped in the calculated column marked 2. I tried modifying my measure to include this criteria using

Total Orders Modified:=
SWITCH(
    TRUE(),
    SELECTEDVALUE( 'Order Group'[Order Group] ) = "Category A", CALCULATE( DISTINCTCOUNT( 'Orders'[Order ID] ), AND( 'Payor'[Payor Groups] = "X", 'Payor'[Payor Groups] = "Y" ) ),
    SELECTEDVALUE( 'Order Group'[Order Group] ) = "Category B", CALCULATE( DISTINCTCOUNT( 'Orders'[Order ID] ), 'Payor'[Payor Groups] = "Z",
    DISTINCTCOUNT( 'Orders'[Order ID]
)

The modified measure works most of the time, but when placed against a set of items, instead of giving the breakdown total for each item, it gives the same amount for each. It's as though there's no relationship even though I have the relationships set up. What am I overlooking?

Thank you in advance for your time. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@amitchandak , Kudos and thank you for your reply. I tried this version but it still caused the unwanted sum of the entire column regardless of the categories. 

In working through this, however, I did realize that the filter I wanted to apply when a slicer value was selected would not flow back up the chain to the dimension table. Therefore, I was able to rectify this by bringing the grouped Categories into the Fact table instead. The resulting code I used simply referenced the category column in the fact table, thus filtering the results.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

Try like

SWITCH(
    TRUE(),
    _max = "Category A", CALCULATE( DISTINCTCOUNT( 'Orders'[Order ID] ), 'Payor'[Payor Groups] in{ "X", "Y" } ),
    _max = "Category B", CALCULATE( DISTINCTCOUNT( 'Orders'[Order ID] ), 'Payor'[Payor Groups] = "Z"),
    DISTINCTCOUNT( 'Orders'[Order ID])
)

@amitchandak , Kudos and thank you for your reply. I tried this version but it still caused the unwanted sum of the entire column regardless of the categories. 

In working through this, however, I did realize that the filter I wanted to apply when a slicer value was selected would not flow back up the chain to the dimension table. Therefore, I was able to rectify this by bringing the grouped Categories into the Fact table instead. The resulting code I used simply referenced the category column in the fact table, thus filtering the results.

@OrthoData ,

If you can post the correct fomrula, that will help other users.

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Really difficult to tell without some sample data to test with. Please see this post regarding How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-Get-Your-Question-Answered-Quickly/ba-p/38490

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

@Greg_Deckler , Kudos and thank you for the tip! I will definitely streamline my future questions based on this article.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.