Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

nssidhu
Frequent Visitor

Help with Deriving new Table based on specific set of Rules

SampleData.jpg 

I need to derive new table(bottom one) based on specific set of rules.
The rule is to have Originations, PlaceOfDelivery, UltimateDestination columns by each category(General, summmarizeDock Sale & Gov Sales) as depicted in the bottom table in above picture.
In the top table i have only one origination column but i get three origination columns in the bottom table because i have 3 categories(General, summmarizeDock Sale & Gov Sales). So i want to summarize the each category sale by state. I have also attached sample Data file.

In short, Sum of amounts by Originations, PlaceOfDelivery, UltimateDestination for Each Category for Each State as depicted in the bottom table.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I wasn't sure how you wanted to handle the tax year, type and entity values, but based on your example outcome, here is how I solved it (using the Query Editor):

1. Create a table with a column of all unique Locations (from all location columns; Origination, Delivery and Ultimate)

2. Create a reference table to your original table using the following M code:

let
    Source = Original Table,
    #"Unpivoted Columns" = Table.UnpivotOtherColumns(Source, {"Amount"}, "Attribute", "Value"),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Unpivoted Columns", "Category", each if [Attribute] = "Category" then [Value] else null),
    #"Filled Down" = Table.FillDown(#"Added Custom",{"Category"}),
    #"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(#"Filled Down", each ([Attribute] <> "Category")),
    #"Merged Columns" = Table.CombineColumns(#"Filtered Rows",{"Category", "Attribute"},Combiner.CombineTextByDelimiter(" ", QuoteStyle.None),"Merged"),
    #"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Merged Columns",{{"Value", "Location"}})
in
    #"Renamed Columns"

3. Close and apply, and create a relationship between the unique Location table and the Location column in this new table.

4. Create a matrix visual with the unique Location as Rows, the "Merged" colum as Columns (you can rename if you want) and the "Amount" column as Values (rename if needed). 

Done:

Capture.PNG

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Is there a reason why you want to use DAX only?

Preferably, since i already know it, but any solution is acceptable.

The Query Editor has pivot/unpivot functionality right in the UI.  I suggest you start there, or upload a sample table and we can help you with the required approach.

This is not a straight Transform. I have updated the title so as to not confuse with transpose/pivot

I wasn't sure how you wanted to handle the tax year, type and entity values, but based on your example outcome, here is how I solved it (using the Query Editor):

1. Create a table with a column of all unique Locations (from all location columns; Origination, Delivery and Ultimate)

2. Create a reference table to your original table using the following M code:

let
    Source = Original Table,
    #"Unpivoted Columns" = Table.UnpivotOtherColumns(Source, {"Amount"}, "Attribute", "Value"),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Unpivoted Columns", "Category", each if [Attribute] = "Category" then [Value] else null),
    #"Filled Down" = Table.FillDown(#"Added Custom",{"Category"}),
    #"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(#"Filled Down", each ([Attribute] <> "Category")),
    #"Merged Columns" = Table.CombineColumns(#"Filtered Rows",{"Category", "Attribute"},Combiner.CombineTextByDelimiter(" ", QuoteStyle.None),"Merged"),
    #"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Merged Columns",{{"Value", "Location"}})
in
    #"Renamed Columns"

3. Close and apply, and create a relationship between the unique Location table and the Location column in this new table.

4. Create a matrix visual with the unique Location as Rows, the "Merged" colum as Columns (you can rename if you want) and the "Amount" column as Values (rename if needed). 

Done:

Capture.PNG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.