Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Help with DAX

Hi, I am looking to create a new column on an existing table but I'm not sure of the best way to proceed. My data is as the first table, I want to add the column 'New list name' to the table as the second table at each change of Transaction ID.

So I need to replace the value '(not set)' with the correct list name dependent on the Transaction ID. Thanks

First table

Transaction IDProduct list nameProduct SKUQuantity
02-140885Broadband Productp3-fttp301
02-140885Broadband Productp3-2501
02-140885(not set)installation251
02-140887Broadbandp3-fttp311
02-140887Broadbandp31
02-140887(not set)phone1

Second table

Transaction IDProduct list nameProduct SKUQuantityNew list name
02-140885Broadband Productp3-fttp301Broadband Product
02-140885Broadband Productp3-2501Broadband Product
02-140885(not set)installation251Broadband Product
02-140887Broadbandp3-fttp311Broadband
02-140887Broadbandp31Broadband
02-140887(not set)phone1Broadband
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

If you're actually replacing/editing data in the data set, the best way is to use Power Query.  DAX is for analyzing the data afterwards. 

In the query editor, you can use replace to find all instances of "not set" and replace them with null values.  Then you can order the data as needed and fill down to fix the Product List Name.   If you want the second column instead of fixing the original, then copy the column and do the same thing.

Note that the fill down has potential to give you funky results if the first item when ordered by Transaction ID is a blank.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
pablopsoto
Regular Visitor

In the query editor replace values of (not set) to "null" and then in the transform tab use fill Down on the desired column.

Please mark this as a solution if it answers your question. 🙂

HotChilli
Super User
Super User

Does it have to be DAX? Would a simple 'Fill Down' in Power Query editor meet the requirement?

If you're actually replacing/editing data in the data set, the best way is to use Power Query.  DAX is for analyzing the data afterwards. 

In the query editor, you can use replace to find all instances of "not set" and replace them with null values.  Then you can order the data as needed and fill down to fix the Product List Name.   If you want the second column instead of fixing the original, then copy the column and do the same thing.

Note that the fill down has potential to give you funky results if the first item when ordered by Transaction ID is a blank.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.