Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

pjandliz
Advocate II
Advocate II

Help with DAX formula required please

I need some DAX help please.

I have created a matrix visual of revenue by client (rows) and services (columns) - no problem there.

I have created another matrix which calculates the total value of my Top N clients, and the proportion of the Grand Total these Top N represent, again with the services as columns (so Total Revenue and % of Total as rows).

My problem is my measure to calculate the Top N revenue calculates the Top N based on the Top N values for each of the respective services whereas I want it to be based on the Top N clients' total revenue.

In the example below, my measure calculates the Top 3 for service A by totalling the 3 highest values found for clients with A services. However, I want to total service 'A' values of the 3 highest clients based on the Total column. 

DAX query eg.jpg

Here's my current measure
(where [Revenue] is just a SUM() of the revenue field, and [Top N] is a measure returning the # of Top N clienst to sum for, eg 10):

Revenue Top N =
  CALCULATE (
  [Revenue],
  TOPN (
    [Top N],
    GROUPBY ( Data, Data[Client Name]),
    CALCULATE ( [Revenue], ALL(Data[Service]) )
  )
)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
pjandliz
Advocate II
Advocate II

Finally I have solved this. With some help from SQLBI's tutorial on Top N, I modified my TOP N formula, and had to clear the column filter for Service which the matrix was applying.

Here's my DAX for anyone interested.

Revenue Top N =
CALCULATE (
  [Revenue],
  TOPN (
    [Top N],
    ADDCOLUMNS (
      ALLSELECTED(Data[Client Name]),
      "Total Revenue",
      //calc revenue for all Services by clearing the Service column filter
      CALCULATE(
        [Revenue],
        ALLSELECTED(Data[Service])
        )
      ),
      [Total Revenue], DESC,
      Data[Client Name], ASC
    )
  )

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
pjandliz
Advocate II
Advocate II

Finally I have solved this. With some help from SQLBI's tutorial on Top N, I modified my TOP N formula, and had to clear the column filter for Service which the matrix was applying.

Here's my DAX for anyone interested.

Revenue Top N =
CALCULATE (
  [Revenue],
  TOPN (
    [Top N],
    ADDCOLUMNS (
      ALLSELECTED(Data[Client Name]),
      "Total Revenue",
      //calc revenue for all Services by clearing the Service column filter
      CALCULATE(
        [Revenue],
        ALLSELECTED(Data[Service])
        )
      ),
      [Total Revenue], DESC,
      Data[Client Name], ASC
    )
  )
pjandliz
Advocate II
Advocate II

Thanks for your suggestion @amitchandak.

However, I need to get the revenue number correct as it's displayed (and I can then calculate the % of total from it and another measure I already have working).

I did notice you've used ALLSELECTED()... I've not used that before so have used it instead of my ALL (after researching the function) however it didn't help.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@pjandliz , Based on what I got. Try % measure like

divide(calculate([Revenue],TOPN([Top N],allselected(Data[Client Name]),[Revenue],DESC), values(Data[Client Name]))
, calculate([Revenue],TOPN([Top N],allselected(Data[Client Name]),[Revenue],DESC)))

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.