Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

bhorvati
Frequent Visitor

Help with Column Calculation

I need to create a calculated column "Total Units" that totals the unit sales by Order Number without reference to row context.   I need the total as a calculated column since I will create a new dimension based on the size of the total.   Unit Category = if [Total Units] < 100000 then "Small" else "Big"

See example below.  I need a formula so that for each row where it shows order number "1000", that the new Total Units column total is 75,000.

This seems like it should be easy, but I have spent all day trying to figure this out.   Sorry, I'm a newbie. 

example.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

=calculate(sum(table[units]),filter(table,table[ordernumber]=earlier(table[ordernumber]))

be sure to write only 1 calculated colum, not 2. Get the one above working first, then modify it to return "big" or "small". This is better than having 2 columns

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

=calculate(sum(table[units]),filter(table,table[ordernumber]=earlier(table[ordernumber]))

be sure to write only 1 calculated colum, not 2. Get the one above working first, then modify it to return "big" or "small". This is better than having 2 columns

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

Worked perfect Matt.  Thanks so much.   I had not even heard of the EARLIER function until just now.  

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.