Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rosscortb
Post Patron
Post Patron

Help with COUNT and Filter on Text

Hello,

New to BI.

I am looking to count September in a month column.

Can work out the count part but not the filter, can you help please?

Stopped at the below.

Absence Rate = CALCULATE(Count('DB Headcount'[Month],FILTER('DB Headcount') = September

Ross

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@rosscortb

So the answer that i posted before will help you create the table.

To provide more details simply create a table and Drag and Drop the Month as Dimension.

Then create a new measure using the formula that i have put in the previous message.

Add the measure to the table

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
PattemManohar
Community Champion
Community Champion

@rosscortb Sample data will be really helpful. I hope you are looking for below DAX.

Absence Rate = COUNTROWS(FILTER('DB Headcount','DB Headcount'[Month] = "September"))

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a PBI Community Champion

Thanks, one other question, how do it get to return the count per rows for each month please?

I thought i could just change the 'Septemer' to [month] but its giving me the overall total count.

Headcount = COUNTROWS(FILTER('DB Headcount','DB Headcount'[Month] = [Month]))

@rosscortb

If i understand correctly you want to count the rows per Month. Is this correct?

Why dont you create a table with Month as the Dimension and the Measure will be the following:

Measure = Count('DB Headcount'[Month])

Also if the previous formula posted works ok as well, you can mark it as another correct answer. This will help other users 

I have a headcount table with all employees for April, All employees for May etc

And I was creating a column to tell me that there is 2300 employees in April and 2400 in May etc

P.S I have a month table also

@rosscortb

So the answer that i posted before will help you create the table.

To provide more details simply create a table and Drag and Drop the Month as Dimension.

Then create a new measure using the formula that i have put in the previous message.

Add the measure to the table

Thats worked. You're the man. 🙂

@rosscortb

Alternatively you can use the following formula without using the FILTER word

Absence Rate = CALCULATE(Count('DB Headcount'[Month]),'DB Headcount'[Month] = "September")

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors