Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Jay2077
Helper III
Helper III

Help wanted for line series visual

My data is like so 

dept   Year    percentage  

a         2013        99%

a         2014        99%

a         2015       100%

b         2013         60%

b         2014         70%

b         2015         90%

It always seems to average the % total I just want the data shown as it is. Any suggestions is it where I am placing my fields, legend, axis, value etc   

A trend line would also be useful though i'm not sure if Power Bi has this functionality. 

Any help greatly appreciated

6 REPLIES 6
MarkSL
Helper V
Helper V

Assuming by Line Series Visual that you mean a Line Chart?  If so then see below:

I have loaded your data into a table, with the percentages as decimals, eg 99% = 0.99.  I have then formatted the column as Percent from the Modelling Ribbon.

Create a Line Chart visual and assign as follows: 

Axis = Year

Legend = Dept

Values = Percentages

q1.png

To add a Trend Line, go to the Analytics tab of the Line Chart and add a Trend Line.  Take note of the option 'Combine Series'.  If selected, the trend line will sit between your two Departments, as per below, else you will get a trend line per Department:

q2.png

That's really helpful thank you.  My line chart visual won't allow me to add trendlines am I right in thinking I need another visual ?

Hmm, I am using the standard out-of-the-box Line Chart.  Have you go the latest version of Power BI Desktop (April 2018)?

Not sure where do I get that from?

Again assuming you are using Power BI Desktop, then it can be found here: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/desktop/

I am pretty sure my Desktop version prompts me to get the latest version when one comes available (each month).

You can check which version you are on by going to the Help ribbon and selecting About:

q4.png

I appear to have the 32 bit April version and no trend lines

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.