Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

IamTDR
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Help w a Date Measure on Power BI Desktop

I am trying to complete a measure where I can look at the units sold, but the time period is a bit different.
I would like to see the units sold after the first 6 months after launch and then see the next 12 months.

So for example, if my product launched 6/1/2018 the measure must ignore the first six months so I want to start summing units beginning Dec 2018 and then continue for next 12 months. 
Tried to work up this measure by myself. See below.

CALCULATE(SUM('BI CompOrders_Trend_Tbl'[order_quantity]),DATESINPERIOD('BI CompOrders_Trend_Tbl'[Ship_Date_Month],DATEADD('BI CompOrders_Trend_Tbl'[Ship_Date_Month],6,MONTH),12,MONTH))

Any advise I would appreciate it.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
IamTDR
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Of course after posting on the forum I tried another idea that worked for me.
First I added a column to my dataset that took the ship_date_month and added 6 months to it. Then this measure worked for me.

= CALCULATE(SUM('BI CompOrders_Trend_Tbl'[order_quantity]),DATESINPERIOD('BI CompOrders_Trend_Tbl'[Ship_Date_Month],FIRSTDATE('BI CompOrders_Trend_Tbl'[Ship_Date_Month_>6]),11,MONTH))

Would still be interested in a measure that would be a little bit easier to use but for now this is working as I tested it in excel over a couple of products.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
IamTDR
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Of course after posting on the forum I tried another idea that worked for me.
First I added a column to my dataset that took the ship_date_month and added 6 months to it. Then this measure worked for me.

= CALCULATE(SUM('BI CompOrders_Trend_Tbl'[order_quantity]),DATESINPERIOD('BI CompOrders_Trend_Tbl'[Ship_Date_Month],FIRSTDATE('BI CompOrders_Trend_Tbl'[Ship_Date_Month_>6]),11,MONTH))

Would still be interested in a measure that would be a little bit easier to use but for now this is working as I tested it in excel over a couple of products.

Would be willing to take a look at it but would really appreciate some sample data or the PBIX you are working with. 

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Thanks for the reply, for now I'm going to go with the model as is. I tested a number of products in excel and everything seems to be working as expected.

Thank you for the offer to help.

Any time!

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

I think you have nailed it. The only two difference I can think of one is We could have done +6 months here in this formula. Now + startof month can be replaced with min or max .

Other one using date calendar as we should prefer using date calendar for time intelligence

Rolling 11 till after 6 month = CALCULATE(sum('BI CompOrders_Trend_Tbl'[order_quantity]),DATESINPERIOD('Date'[Date],startOFMONTH(dateadd(Sales[Sales Date],6,month)),11,MONTH))

To get the best of the time intelligence function. Make sure you have a date calendar and it has been marked as the date in model view. Also, join it with the date column of your fact/s. Refer :
https://radacad.com/creating-calendar-table-in-power-bi-using-dax-functions
https://www.archerpoint.com/blog/Posts/creating-date-table-power-bi
https://www.sqlbi.com/articles/creating-a-simple-date-table-in-dax/

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.