Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

HueySantiago

Help undertanding NORM.S.DIST DAX Measure on a Card Visual

Hi,

I've been trying to understand the NORM.S.DIST DAX function and it's giving me a lot of weirdness. As far as I can understand, it would be able to give me the associated probability from a z-score, and for the most part, that seems to be true. However, I have encountered some weirdness:

Going by the sample in the documentation,

Measure = NORM.S.DIST (1.333333, TRUE)

Should return 0.908788725604095

However when I try it on my end, it returns a different value altogether. What happens is that the value is multiplied by 50. I noticed that this is due to the aggregation being SUM. Changing the aggregation to something like Average, Minimum, or Maximum seems to make it display the correct value, and the multiplication by 50 only seems to happen if the aggregation is SUM and only on Cards. Anyone know why?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi SpartaBI,

I think I've cracked it now. Looking over the file again, it seems I misclicked. I thought it was a Measure, but I noticed that the icon was different. What I created was actually a column. It just so happens that the sample data I used had 50 items. That was why the SUM aggregation multiplies the result by 50.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
SpartaBI
Community Champion
Community Champion

@HueySantiago have you checked this article and video in DAX GUIDE?
https://dax.guide/norm-s-dist/

Hi SpartaBI,

I think I've cracked it now. Looking over the file again, it seems I misclicked. I thought it was a Measure, but I noticed that the icon was different. What I created was actually a column. It just so happens that the sample data I used had 50 items. That was why the SUM aggregation multiplies the result by 50.

Hi SpartaBI,

Thank you for the link. Unfortunately, it didn't answer my question of why the returned value is multiplied by 50 if the Measure is placed on a card visualization and the aggregation is SUM. I am also quite new to statistics, so some terms escape me.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.