Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

megachuckmc721
Frequent Visitor

Help setting up RLS with Salesforce Dataset

Back using Power BI after almost 1 year away and I need help setting up Row Level Security!

Our datasets consists of SFDC objects (Opportunities, Tasks, Users) which are refreshed periodically every day and I am wanting to use RLS so that when a user logs in to a given dashboard in Power BI service they will only see their own data.  The basic filtering would look something like this:

User can only see records from Tasks and Opportunities in which they are the CreatedBy. 

Example:  User Joe Smith (id 05Q00000aff02xb) logs into Power BI and goes to the Opportunity Dashboard.  He will only see Opportunities where the CreatedById = (05Q00000aff02xb)

I've done this before but am having to relearn everything and I'm not sure where to start!

Any help is greatly appreciated...

Mike

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @megachuckmc721,

You need to build relationships between these tables and modify the crossfitlerdirection option to both to confirm user table can effect all of them.

Then use user table to create RLS, if you correctly setting these relationships, it will effect on all related tables.

Power BI – Dynamic Row Level Security – Tips to get it working!

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Hi @megachuckmc721,

You can refer to following blog to know more about how to use RLS with USERNAME function.

Power BI Desktop Dynamic security cheat sheet

BTW, if you table not contains mapping table(domain/userid to table userid), you need to create one and add to your datasource. Then modify the 'cross filter direction' option to both and turn on the 'Apply security filter in both directions property'

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @megachuckmc721,

You need to build relationships between these tables and modify the crossfitlerdirection option to both to confirm user table can effect all of them.

Then use user table to create RLS, if you correctly setting these relationships, it will effect on all related tables.

Power BI – Dynamic Row Level Security – Tips to get it working!

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Thanks for your help on this - I'm good to go now, although I went ahead and set up separate RLS Roles for each individual.  Works fo now but hopefully I can figure out how to use the Username() functionality and cut down on the duplication of roles.

Thanks!

Mike

Hi @megachuckmc721,

You can refer to following blog to know more about how to use RLS with USERNAME function.

Power BI Desktop Dynamic security cheat sheet

BTW, if you table not contains mapping table(domain/userid to table userid), you need to create one and add to your datasource. Then modify the 'cross filter direction' option to both and turn on the 'Apply security filter in both directions property'

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Thanks! I will take a look at the cheatsheet with regards to using Username() and RLS!

And good reminder on the domain/userid mapping as well!

Mike

I'm not sure I fully understand your explanation...

I have 3 tables with the following relationships:  One one of the relationships I can set the crossfilter direction as both but get an error on the other(?) -   Also your explanation suggests that for each user I will have to create a Role that filters on the UserID - which means 1 ROle for each user.  I read somewhere about using Username() - Is that correct.

Thanks again for any help on this.

Mike

Relationships1.jpg

RealtionshipTable 2.jpg

RealtionshipTable 3.jpg

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.