Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Bennesim

Help please! Clustered column chart to count dates separately (three date columns per line item)

Annotation 2019-09-02 144138.png

Hi new to Power BI - any help appreciated, looked for an existing solution on this forum but not found the same issue.

I have an excel table (imported) which tracks audits (rows), each with a 'Planned' (baseline) date, a 'Forecast' date and a 'Actual Complete' date.  I have set up a clustered column chart which counts planned, forecast and actual dates.  However, when I use 'Planned' field to provide date split on axis (by month), the table counts dates (cells with a date) based on Planned audits in the month - so it does not recognise the dates in forecast and actual columns - just that there is a date (data) in the cell.

I need it to recognise the dates and count these by month - not just count cells with data in it regardless of what that data (date) is?

I have set-up a DAX date table and linked this to my planned (active relationship), forecast (non-active) and actual (non-active), but it does the same thing?

'Sample' version of my file above if this helps!

Project AreaScopeLODRequirementAuditee / ReviewedFocal PointAuditor / ReviewerPlanned to Complete (Jul-19)Forecast to CompleteActual CompleteRemarksAudit Findings Tracker

Sample Integrated Audit & Review Plan 2019     Update at:29/08/2019
ProjectAudit 12AProject TeamEng. ManagerName 101/11/201901/11/2019   
ProjectAudit 21BHSE TeamHSSE ManagerName 210/01/2019 10/01/2019  
ProjectReview 11BProject TeamTopsides EMName 320/05/2019 20/06/2019  
TopsideAudit 31AProject TeamHSSE ManagerName 215/10/201915/10/2019   
TopsideReview 21BProject TeamHSSE ManagerName 201/06/2019 15/03/2019  
SubseaAudit 41ASubsea TeamEng. ManagerName 1     
SubseaAudit 51ASubsea TeamMarine Eng. ManagerName 401/06/2019 01/07/2019  
SubseaReview31BSubsea TeamMarine Eng. ManagerName 425/06/2019 25/07/2019  
4 REPLIES 4
Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Bennesim ,

Is what the screenshot shows below the result you want? If not, please give me more details then I can help you better. This is my PBIX file.

Help please! Clustered column chart to count dates separately (three date columns per line item).PNG

Best Regards,

Icey

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @Icey 

This is type of chart I am looking for, however 'count' is not correct.  If I look at the data (dates) in the table I should have:

Planned - 1 in January and May, 3 in June, 1 in October and November.

Actuals - 1 in January, March, June and 2 in July.

Forecast - 1 in October and November.

Is it possible for chart to count dates?

Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Bennesim ,

Make sure your Planned, Actuals, and Forecast are in right format of date. And then, another Date table is not needed.

Help please! Clustered column chart to count dates separately (three date columns per line item)-follow1.PNG

If your date format is not correct, change it:

Help please! Clustered column chart to count dates separately (three date columns per line item)-follow2.PNGHelp please! Clustered column chart to count dates separately (three date columns per line item)-follow3.PNG

Best Regards,

Icey

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Annotation 2019-09-05 131342.png

Hi @Icey 

I have changed date type but still the same result.  What I get is the picture on the left - what I want is the picture on the right. 

I can only produce picture on the right by creating a new data table in excel which counts dates by month.  Problem with this is that it is not linked to the other data in the table if I click on it in Power BI.

I think problem is that I am using "Planned to Complete" field on the axis to give me the date range so data is only counted on basis of this column rather than independently.

Kind regards,

@Icey wrote:

Hi @Bennesim ,

Make sure your Planned, Actuals, and Forecast are in right format of date. And then, another Date table is not needed.

Help please! Clustered column chart to count dates separately (three date columns per line item)-follow1.PNG

If your date format is not correct, change it:

Help please! Clustered column chart to count dates separately (three date columns per line item)-follow2.PNGHelp please! Clustered column chart to count dates separately (three date columns per line item)-follow3.PNG

Best Regards,

Iceyy

Simon

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.