Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Help on filtering a table

Hi, i am using the "Microsoft Project Online Power BI Content Pack.pbit" from github.  I am attempting to create a programme page within that report and am struggling to build a table of related projects within that page.

Data Structure

• All the data i am trying to report in is included in the 'Projects' table.
  • Each row on the table is a 'project' or 'programme' .A column called 'project type' distinguishes the projects from programmes.
  • The slicer on the top right is 'project name'
  • There is a page level filter 'project type' = programme to ensure that the slicer only shows programmes.

I wish to create a table on the page listing the projects within the programme. So I need to filter on projects where the programme = programme of the project used in the slicer. 

I have no idea where to start on this, any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Anonymous ,

>>WIll this method work with the PowerBI service?

Current query parameters also works on service.

>>As a simpler alternative, could I set the slicer to the programmes column

You need to create bridge table to mapping all tables, then you can use one slicer(source filed from bridge table) to filter all tables.

BTW, textbox not able to interact with data model fields.(column/measures)

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Unfortunately, you can't use slicer to interaction with query parameter or query table records.
In my opinion, I'd like to suggest you to add query parameters to do dynamic filter on query tables side. 

Pass Parameters to SQL Queries

Deep Dive into Query Parameters and Power BI Templates

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, but that is slightly over my head!

WIll this method work with the PowerBI service? We are publishing our reports for users to access via browser.

As a simpler alternative, could I set the slicer to the programmes column, so a user can select 'programme 1' in the slicer and all 'programme 1' rows are returned populating the table of projects correctly, and then filter the other page fields further to only return data where the field project type = "programme".

Untitled.png

Hi @Anonymous ,

>>WIll this method work with the PowerBI service?

Current query parameters also works on service.

>>As a simpler alternative, could I set the slicer to the programmes column

You need to create bridge table to mapping all tables, then you can use one slicer(source filed from bridge table) to filter all tables.

BTW, textbox not able to interact with data model fields.(column/measures)

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors