Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Cassis
Frequent Visitor

Help needed with data preparation (using M)

Hey ppl!

I've received a new task and need to learn M fast.

Problem is, I have a "simple" problem to solve but didn't learn enough M yet to solve it in a timely manner.

Hope you guys can help.

I have a table called "Update" with a single column "When" and single row containing one date.

Like this:

TABLE Update
When
28/02/2020

This date is dynamic, obtained by a query.

I have a second table "Water_Consumption" with a date column "Reading" and a column named "m3" formatted as number (integer). Like this:

TABLE Water_Consumption
Reading                m3
22/12/2019          210
22/01/2020          208
22/02/2020             0
22/03/2020             0
22/04/2020             0

My problem:
I need to change 0 to null when the date is greater than the date in "When".

So in the current example, my Water_Consumption table would look like:

TABLE Water_Consumption
Reading          m3
22/12/2019     210
22/01/2020     208
22/02/2020        0
22/03/2020     null
22/04/2020     null

This is as far as I could go, it works but requires me a manual update every month:

Table.ReplaceValue(#"Previous_step", each [m3], each if [Reading] <= #date(2020, 2,28) then [m3] else null, Replacer.ReplaceValue, {"m3"} )

Problem is, I need to make it update automatically so my current "solution" doesn't cut it.

Can you guys please advise?

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
sturlaws
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Cassis,

it seems like you are taking on the advanced editor in Power Query. Perhaps an easier way to do this is to first create a new column with the value from Update, and then create another column according to the logic you have. Once that is completed you can remove the original m3-column and the When-column.

If you still want to do this in Advanced editor, I think this will work for you:

= Table.ReplaceValue(#"Previous step", each [m3], each if [Reading] <= List.First(Update[When]) then [m3] else null, Replacer.ReplaceValue, {"m3"} )

Cheers,
Sturla

If this post helps, then please consider Accepting it as the solution. Kudos are nice too.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
sturlaws
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Cassis,

it seems like you are taking on the advanced editor in Power Query. Perhaps an easier way to do this is to first create a new column with the value from Update, and then create another column according to the logic you have. Once that is completed you can remove the original m3-column and the When-column.

If you still want to do this in Advanced editor, I think this will work for you:

= Table.ReplaceValue(#"Previous step", each [m3], each if [Reading] <= List.First(Update[When]) then [m3] else null, Replacer.ReplaceValue, {"m3"} )

Cheers,
Sturla

If this post helps, then please consider Accepting it as the solution. Kudos are nice too.

Thanks mate, your solution solved the issue!

Also thanks for your suggestion, I believe it would be an easier way to solve the problem but I was afraid the impact in performance would hurt the model as a whole - that's why I opted to use the editor and dedicate an effort to learn M.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.