Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

ephramz
Helper II
Helper II

Help needed for my project !! New to Power BI

Hi all, I have a Matrix Visualization that looks something like that, I have two end goal in mind which I'm desperate need of help with.
1)Row and column subtotal
If you look at the matrix visualization, if i enable the Row subtotal and Column subtotal, it does not actually sum the row and column up. 

What is wrong with this / what can I do to work around 

(The Matrix Visualization is plotted based on Operation Number in the first column and Equipment Number in the First Row, I do not want to sum these values, but only the measures field 'Actual Time')

ephramz_0-1630998156516.png

2) How do I create a new column/new measure in the Matrix Visualization which give me the mean/ median for that row

For example under Operation Number 9990, we have multipl column of equipment No

Sample example:

Op No    222000   222111    2222222    222333    222444   222555    Total     Mean        Median

9990         50           40              50             30            50           30         250       41.667         50

For the column Mean & Median: If the values inside is 0 do not consider it

Thanks ! Really appreciate it if you can help me with this problem

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-rzhou-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ephramz 

1. I think you add [Op. No.] in Row field, [Equipment] in Column field [Actual Time] measure in Value field in your Matrix visual. The incorrect result in subtotal should be caused by your logic of your [Actual Time] measure.

Here I suggest you to try to build a new measure based on [Actual Time] measure.

Actual Time with correct subtotal = 
Sumx("Table you used to calculate Actual Time measure",[Actual Time])

Here is a similar post like your first question. This user wants show correct average in his matrix subtotal. If you want to get sum result, try sumx.

For reference: Measure not included in average calculation

2. You can build Mean and Median measures. But if you add these two measures into value field in your matrix. You will get result as below. 

Sample example:

1.png

You see every Equipment category will be expand, this is based on your data model.

Here I suggest your to build a new matrix to show Total/Mean and Median values instead of add Mean and Median in your old matrix, if you don't want each Equipment category be expand.

Best Regards,
Rico Zhou

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-rzhou-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ephramz 

1. I think you add [Op. No.] in Row field, [Equipment] in Column field [Actual Time] measure in Value field in your Matrix visual. The incorrect result in subtotal should be caused by your logic of your [Actual Time] measure.

Here I suggest you to try to build a new measure based on [Actual Time] measure.

Actual Time with correct subtotal = 
Sumx("Table you used to calculate Actual Time measure",[Actual Time])

Here is a similar post like your first question. This user wants show correct average in his matrix subtotal. If you want to get sum result, try sumx.

For reference: Measure not included in average calculation

2. You can build Mean and Median measures. But if you add these two measures into value field in your matrix. You will get result as below. 

Sample example:

1.png

You see every Equipment category will be expand, this is based on your data model.

Here I suggest your to build a new matrix to show Total/Mean and Median values instead of add Mean and Median in your old matrix, if you don't want each Equipment category be expand.

Best Regards,
Rico Zhou

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

1. most likely you specified the field aggregation as average rather than sum

2. you can add the same field to the values area multiple times, and each time choose a different aggregation type

If you want to exclude values from being considered, add a visual level filter.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.