Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

BPOPE
Frequent Visitor

Help needed!! Data modeling: Time

Hi

I'm relatively new to BI so still getting to grips with it.  I'm having an issue with time when importing from excel.  My data is the length of time someone has spent on a call.  In excel its format is [h]:mm:ss

When I import the data to BI it's picking it up as Text and is adding a date in first eg 31/12/1899 07:21:37.  If I try to remodel the data to anything other than text I get Error "We can't automatically convert the column to Time type" or what ever type I am trying.

Any help appreciated

Ben

4 REPLIES 4
v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi BPOPE,

I have made a test but can't reproduce your issue. My steps are like belw:

Create a sample in excel -> Load table to power bi -> Change format of data type.

捕获.PNG  --->  2.PNG    --->  3.PNG   --->  5.PNG 

If this issue still exists, could you please provide some dummy data for further analysis?

Regards,

Jimmy Tao  

Thanks Jimmy, I did a bit of reformating in Excel and BI is now allowing me to change the data type to Time which is great.  The issue I have now though is no auto sum is appearing on the Time Data so it's only giving me the option for Counts when trying to use it for visuals.  Any ideas on why it would do this?

thanks

Ben

Hi BPOPE,

The text type or data time type of value can't be sumed, can only be counted, you should sum values like number type value.

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

ChrisMendoza
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hello @BPOPE,

Dealing with Date/Time data types, or lack of, seems to be an ongoing subject matter in the community.

I think firstly, people really need to understand that the formatting that is shown on screen is just that, formatting. That format represents a decimal number.

Once someone can understand that then the problem becomes seeing how the computer interpreted the value/data it was given. Your computer gave you text. Mine gave me Date/Time. An example file would have been nice.

Then you learn how to massage the data into something that is usable. Whether you're using Power Query M or DAX, both have functions that deal with messed up Date/Time.

You might find TIMEVALUE ( DAX ) useful as any date information included in the time_text argument is ignored.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.