Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Help needed ASAP PLEASE - Previous Month Function and Previous Quarter not working accurately for me

Hi,

Goal: Get previous month value and put it into a card visual. I also need to get previous quartervalues because I will make a QoQ moving average later on.

Questions:

1. From below image, why is getting the blank value? The card visual should be getting $3.444,386 as the previous month value

2. Why did previous quarter price sum? I only need to pick last quarter value because my end goal is to create a QoQ moving average

Formula Used:

Previous Month: 

Previous Month Price = CALCULATE(sum('b2b_datalab_cvm_pp_result JJ_Mobility_Trading_Ranges'[ARPU]), PREVIOUSMONTH('b2b_datalab_cvm_pp_result JJ_Mobility_Trading_Ranges'[Renewal Date YM]))

Previous Quarter:
Previous Quarter Price = CALCULATE(sum('b2b_datalab_cvm_pp_result JJ_Mobility_Trading_Ranges'[ARPU]), PREVIOUSQUARTER('b2b_datalab_cvm_pp_result JJ_Mobility_Trading_Ranges'[Renewal Date YM]))

jdalfonso_0-1621393578000.png

Note: I cannot use dateadd function in the 1st question because I have a slicer for the renewal date. I need a dynamic measure for the previous month price depending on the filter for renewal date: 

jdalfonso_1-1621393743581.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , I think PREVIOUSQUARTER, PREVIOUSMONTH take the first date. so the basis are 01/05/2020, for both. Before it. If you need based on 30/04/2021 you need use datesqtd, datesmtd.

Also use date table, not the date column from your table

example

QTD Sales = CALCULATE(sum('b2b_datalab_cvm_pp_result JJ_Mobility_Trading_Ranges'[ARPU]),DATESQTD(('Date'[Date])))

Last QTD Sales = CALCULATE(sum('b2b_datalab_cvm_pp_result JJ_Mobility_Trading_Ranges'[ARPU]),DATESQTD(dateadd('Date'[Date],-1,QUARTER)))

Qtr Sales = CALCULATE(sum('b2b_datalab_cvm_pp_result JJ_Mobility_Trading_Ranges'[ARPU]),DATESQTD(ENDOFQUARTER('Date'[Date])))

Last QUARTER Sales = CALCULATE(sum('b2b_datalab_cvm_pp_result JJ_Mobility_Trading_Ranges'[ARPU]),DATESQTD( ENDOFQUARTER(dateadd('Date'[Date],-1,QUARTER))))

MTD Sales = CALCULATE(sum('b2b_datalab_cvm_pp_result JJ_Mobility_Trading_Ranges'[ARPU]),DATESMTD('Date'[Date]))

last MTD Sales = CALCULATE(sum('b2b_datalab_cvm_pp_result JJ_Mobility_Trading_Ranges'[ARPU]),DATESMTD(dateadd('Date'[Date],-1,MONTH)))

this month = CALCULATE(sum('b2b_datalab_cvm_pp_result JJ_Mobility_Trading_Ranges'[ARPU]),DATESMTD(ENDOFMONTH('Date'[Date])))

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , I think PREVIOUSQUARTER, PREVIOUSMONTH take the first date. so the basis are 01/05/2020, for both. Before it. If you need based on 30/04/2021 you need use datesqtd, datesmtd.

Also use date table, not the date column from your table

example

QTD Sales = CALCULATE(sum('b2b_datalab_cvm_pp_result JJ_Mobility_Trading_Ranges'[ARPU]),DATESQTD(('Date'[Date])))

Last QTD Sales = CALCULATE(sum('b2b_datalab_cvm_pp_result JJ_Mobility_Trading_Ranges'[ARPU]),DATESQTD(dateadd('Date'[Date],-1,QUARTER)))

Qtr Sales = CALCULATE(sum('b2b_datalab_cvm_pp_result JJ_Mobility_Trading_Ranges'[ARPU]),DATESQTD(ENDOFQUARTER('Date'[Date])))

Last QUARTER Sales = CALCULATE(sum('b2b_datalab_cvm_pp_result JJ_Mobility_Trading_Ranges'[ARPU]),DATESQTD( ENDOFQUARTER(dateadd('Date'[Date],-1,QUARTER))))

MTD Sales = CALCULATE(sum('b2b_datalab_cvm_pp_result JJ_Mobility_Trading_Ranges'[ARPU]),DATESMTD('Date'[Date]))

last MTD Sales = CALCULATE(sum('b2b_datalab_cvm_pp_result JJ_Mobility_Trading_Ranges'[ARPU]),DATESMTD(dateadd('Date'[Date],-1,MONTH)))

this month = CALCULATE(sum('b2b_datalab_cvm_pp_result JJ_Mobility_Trading_Ranges'[ARPU]),DATESMTD(ENDOFMONTH('Date'[Date])))

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

How do you do the Date'[Date]'? 

What I did was calendarauto

@Anonymous , Calender  or calendar Auto

Creating Financial Calendar - From Any Month
https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Creating-Financial-Calendar-Decoding-Date-and-Calendar-1-5-Power/ba-p/1187441

various other link to create a calendar

To get the best of the time intelligence function. Make sure you have a date calendar and it has been marked as the date in model view. Also, join it with the date column of your fact/s. Refer :radacad sqlbi My Video Series Appreciate your Kudos.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.