Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Help modelling relationships with 3 fact tables and 3 dimensions

I have the following model setup:

Power BI Relationships.png

Fact B table is interconnection between A and C, but A and C are completely independent of each other. What this means, is that we do reports on Fact C independent of data in Fact A and we do reports on Fact A independent of data in Fact C. When we do reports on Fact B, Fact A and Fact C are used for filtering, so they become dimensions in that case. 

With the current setup, if I report something on Fact A (e.g. an aggregate), and I have Dimension X set as a report level filter, if there is no corresponding row in Fact B for a row in Fact A, the row in Fact A is not included in the calculation. Which is an expected scenario for my model setup, but not for my use case.

Now, I'm thinking that I should import Fact C and Fact A tables twice, and the second time renamed them into Dimensions. Then, the Fact tables should never be interconnected with each other. Is this a good approach? I want to keep Dimension X and Dimension Z as common filter for ALL fact tables reports, so I can use them as global page or report level filters. Use them as slicers as well.

Thanks!

Gorgi.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Anonymous

In your current relationship, there is an inactive relationship between Project and ProductInstance. You only need to create a ProjectId measure which using the inactive relationship to replace the ‘ProductInstance’[ProjectId] column in the table visual.

I've uploaded the PBIX file here for reference.

Projectid_Measure = 
CALCULATE (
    MAX ( ProductInstance[ProjectId] ),
    USERELATIONSHIP ( Project[Id], ProductInstance[ProjectId] )
)

Help modelling relationships with 3 fact tables and 3 dimensions_1.jpg

Best Regards,

Herbert

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Could you post some sample data from your fact tables and dimension X table? You might be able to achieve what you want by editing the cross filtering settings for your relationships.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
Anonymous
Not applicable

I cannot share any data or structure, but lets say that Fact C is a customer, Fact A is an instance of a product in a specific Dimension X and Dimension Z is a product information. Fact B would be customer interacting with product instance C. The Fact C contains summary data for the product instance, like turnover. 

Fact C (the customer) is unique and lives in a dimension X. So, it also contains summary information for the customer, like total turnover. 

@Anonymous you don't have to share real data, just an example so we're working with the same kind of materials as you. https://www.mockaroo.com/

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your help guys. I will try to do that by tomorrow.

Cheers!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@KHorseman @Greg_Deckler

here is a one simplified example: https://www.dropbox.com/s/f8xmg0r8pvkxxao/Test.pbix?dl=0

From the diagram above, I'm only missing Dimension Y, which is a time dimension. But, the Facts here are Customer, Product Instance and CustomerProductInstance. A customer can exist in the Customer fact, without corresponding CustomerProductInstance.

Looking forward to your help!

Gorgi.

@Anonymous

In your current relationship, there is an inactive relationship between Project and ProductInstance. You only need to create a ProjectId measure which using the inactive relationship to replace the ‘ProductInstance’[ProjectId] column in the table visual.

I've uploaded the PBIX file here for reference.

Projectid_Measure = 
CALCULATE (
    MAX ( ProductInstance[ProjectId] ),
    USERELATIONSHIP ( Project[Id], ProductInstance[ProjectId] )
)

Help modelling relationships with 3 fact tables and 3 dimensions_1.jpg

Best Regards,

Herbert

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @v-haibl-msft this helps. It even works when I add a demographic slicer, so it shows products that have been interacted with specific demographic.

One issue is that I have to bring the Projectid_Measure in the reports, so the relationship is included. 

But is this approach recommended? One solution suggested here: (scroll a bit up and see the two bullet points) is to "Bring in a table twice (with a different name the second time) to eliminate loops.  This makes the pattern of relationships like a star schema.  With a star schema all of the relationships can be set to Both.". But, this approach is more complex and doesn't work good with page level filters (and slicers).

I will try this solution to our specific model and see how it works.

Cheers.

@Anonymous

You can try both of these two most common approaches to see which is more suitable for you. Smiley Happy

Best Regards,

Herbert

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.