Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Help linking tables together - ambiguity

Hi,

I am a long time Excel user coming over to Power BI. I definitely see the potential with Power BI and love what it can do. However, I am struggling with its strict table relationships and unsure how to get around it. 

I have three tables:

• Employee:  Employee ID and the Org that this employee belongs to
  • Client:  Client ID and the Org that this client belongs to 
  • Interaction:  List of service tickets that lists the client who made the request and the employee who handled the ticket

My desired output is to get by Org, the count of clients, count of interactions its clients requested, and how many employees it has. I know the Org IDs are related between Client and Employees but trying to tie them together yields a relationship ambiguity error. The resulting output is that I don't get the Employee counts by Org but only see the total. 

In Excel, I would just vlookup based on Org ID to get both Client and Employee count but don't know how to handle this situation here. 

Thank you!

George

PBI Question Table 1.PNG

PBI Question Table 2.PNG

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous based on your requirement, i think the relationship between employee and interaction is not required. and make relationship active between org and employee.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

View solution in original post

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous -

If I understand your requirements correctly, you could remove the relationships to org, and instead make a relationship between org and interactions. 

So interactions would be the fact table, and org, emp, and client are dimension tables. 

Then you can use DISTINCTCOUNT on empid and clientid from the Interactions Table, and use org name from the Org table.

Cheers!

Nathan

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous -

If I understand your requirements correctly, you could remove the relationships to org, and instead make a relationship between org and interactions. 

So interactions would be the fact table, and org, emp, and client are dimension tables. 

Then you can use DISTINCTCOUNT on empid and clientid from the Interactions Table, and use org name from the Org table.

Cheers!

Nathan

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you all! Yes I didn't really need that relationship to exist in the example above.

From browsing around the forum, another solution that works well is using the "userelationship" function to force an inactive relationship to be active. 

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous remove link between employee and interactions and make relationship active between org and employees.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous based on your requirement, i think the relationship between employee and interaction is not required. and make relationship active between org and employee.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.