Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

D_PBI
Post Patron
Post Patron

Help in understanding the ERD of MS Dynamics 365 and/or how to produce the actual SQL Server ERD?

Hi,

I am embarking on devising a reporting strategy using PBI on MS Dynamics 365 data. I am experienced with PBI but am a complete novice with MS Dynamics 365.

Traditionally when working with database source data I have obtained the database's ERD and am able to see the relationships/keys between the different tables. This has meant I could work out how to re-model (join, de-normalise) the data to benefit the PBI reporting.
With MS Dynamics 365, again bearing in mind I'm a novice, I'm not able to see the underlying SQL Server database and therefore not obtain the ERD. The Functional Consultant (FC) has provided me with something but it seems be more logical and not suited to my developer type mindset. To give you an example, if an end-user says I want field X, Y, and Z then I will be able to look at the XrmToolBox's 'Power Pane' and see the source fields representing X, Y, and Z.  I should say that when I do this now the source fields do not match that of what the FC has provided me, hence the need to see what the actual SQL Server database ERD can show me.

Please can someone guide me on how to obtain the MS Dynamics 365 underlying SQL Server database ERD so I have a chance of getting to grips with the data?

Thanks in advance.

<please note: I had previously placed another post encompassing many questions but at the advice of the moderator I have split my questions into separate posts>

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@v-frfei-msft  - thanks for your suggestion.

I've actually found a way to produce the MS Dynamics 365 relational ERD that I needed.
To help others, there is a third-party tool named XrmToolBox. This tool is aim for use with relationship management systems. It has many plugins available, one of which is the 'Entity Relation Diagram Creator'. Use this and you'll be able to create the ERD.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
D_PBI
Post Patron
Post Patron

Bump. Anyone please?

Hi @D_PBI ,

To be honest, I'm unfamiliar with  Dynamics 365 either. I suggest you to ask for help in Dynamics 365 Community.

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.

@v-frfei-msft  - thanks for your suggestion.

I've actually found a way to produce the MS Dynamics 365 relational ERD that I needed.
To help others, there is a third-party tool named XrmToolBox. This tool is aim for use with relationship management systems. It has many plugins available, one of which is the 'Entity Relation Diagram Creator'. Use this and you'll be able to create the ERD.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.