Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

DJLight890
Helper II
Helper II

Help With Missing Timesheet Counts

Hello everyone,

I need some help with a Missing Timesheet report that I'm doing for my company. Basically, I have 2 tables that have a 1-to-many relationship:

• Employee List - table of employee info
  • Timesheet Hours - table of weekly timesheet information (hours worked, projects that were worked on, etc.)

So far, with the help of another user on here, I was able to get the "Missing" timesheets to show up using this measure:

Approval = VAR __status = CALCULATE ( LASTNONBLANK ('Timesheet Hours'[Approval Status], 1 ) )
RETURN IF ( __status == BLANK(), "Missing", __status )

Here is my end goal:

• Create a missing timesheet report with these filters:
    • Timesheet Required = Yes
    • Time Period = [Insert any week]
  • Be able to view the total count of "Missing", "Approved", or "Pending" timesheets on any week that is filtered. 

I have created a mockup as to not use company data. Here's a picture of what I have so far:
MissingTimesheet - Test.PNG

I don't see where I can upload my actual PowerBI file, but I can upload the mockup file if needed if someone could tell me how. 

Thanks for any help you may be able to provide!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @DJLight890 ,

Please update the formula of measure "Missing count" as below:

Missing Count = 
VAR _selections =
    ALLSELECTED ( 'Timesheet Hours'[Period Name] )
VAR _countofPeriod =
    COUNTROWS ( _selections )
RETURN
    CALCULATE (
        DISTINCTCOUNT ( 'Employee List'[Employee Name] ),
        'Employee List'[Timesheet Required] = "Yes"
    ) * _countofPeriod
        - CALCULATE (
            COUNT ( 'Timesheet Hours'[Period Name] ),
            'Employee List'[Timesheet Required] = "Yes",
            FILTER (
                ALL ( 'Timesheet Hours' ),
                'Timesheet Hours'[Period Name] IN _selections
            )
        )

Missing count.JPG

Best Regards

Rena

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
v-yiruan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @DJLight890 ,

You can create a measure as below to get it:

Count of Missing = 
CALCULATE (
    DISTINCTCOUNT ( 'Timesheet Hours'[Employee Name] ),
    FILTER (
        'Timesheet Hours',
        'Timesheet Hours'[Period Name]
            = SELECTEDVALUE ( 'Timesheet Hours'[Period Name] )
            && [Approval] = "Missing"
    )
)

Help With Missing Timesheet Counts.JPG

Best Regards

Rena

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-yiruan-msft  Wow, thank you so much! That looks exactly like what I'm looking for!

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, but I copied everything exactly as you have it, including making sure my measures were in the same tables as yours. However, when I use a card for Count of Missing, I'm getting "Blank". Any thoughts?

Blank Showing.PNG

Hi @DJLight890 ,

According to your screen shot, it seems you didn't create any slicer with field [Period Name]... Then the condition "'Timesheet Hours'[Period Name] = SELECTEDVALUE ( 'Timesheet Hours'[Period Name] )" will not get the value, it cause the final value is blank. 

count of missing.jpg

Please create a slicer using the field 'Timesheet Hours'[Period Name] as below screen shot, then check if can get the correct value. Any comment or problem later, please feel free to let me know. Thank you.

slicer.JPG

Best Regards

Rena

@v-yiruan-msft  Thank you for your reply again. I'm sorry, in my screenshot, the "Period Name" slicer is hidden behind the dax dropdown, but I do have it setup. No matter which checkbox I use, I still see (Blank) Count of Missing. 

I copied and pasted your exact measure and even tried re-typing (in case of copy/paste error) exactly as you had it. Still seeing blank. I've tried reading more about some dax measures and I've tried variations of the following:

Pending Count = CALCULATE(COUNT('Timesheet Hours'[Employee Name]),
FILTER('Timesheet Hours',[Approval]="Pending"))

I was able to use the above to work for my Approved and Pending counts, but I realized that won't work for missing because the missing employees do not show up in 'Timesheet Hours[Employee Name]' because of the fact their timesheet is missing they won't ever appear in the table until it is submitted. 

So then I tried moving the [Approval] measure that I referenced in my very first post over to the 'Employee List' table (called [Approval2] and used this measure for missing counts:

Missing Count = CALCULATE(COUNT('Employee List'[Employee Name]),
FILTER('Employee List','Employee List'[Approval2]="Missing"))

This actually correctly counts the "Missing" employees when clicking on 1 single time period slicer, but if I try to use multiple slicers, the count is wrong (Ex: Jun22-28 has 2 missing, Jun 29-30 has 2 missing, but when I check both boxes, my missing count goes to 1 instead of the expected 4). 

Missing Count.PNG

Any thoughts? If you're able to provide any additional help I really appreciate it! Thank you for your previous time/help as well!

Hi @DJLight890 ,

Please try to update the formula of measure "Missing Count" as below:

Missing Count =
VAR _selections =
RETURN
    CALCULATE (
        FILTER (
            'Timesheet Hours',
                && [Approval] = "Missing"
        )
    )

Best Regards

Rena

@v-yiruan-msft  Unfortuntately I'm still getting (Blank)Missing Count showing up as seen in the screenshot below. I feel like we're so close. I tried a few things somewhat based on your previous measure, but haven't had any luck yet. I'll keep plugging away and reading up more on DAX to see what I can come up with.

Thanks for your help so far and any additional help you may provide! 

Blank Showing2.PNG

Hi @DJLight890 ,

Please share some sample data in table Timesheet Hours and Employee List or your pbix file with us, then we can adjust the formula of related measures based on your scenario. Thank you.

Best Regards

Rena

@v-yiruan-msft  Yes, here is the link to the file. I haven't done this on here before, so let me know if you have any issues getting it.

PowerBI File

Hi @DJLight890 ,

Please update the formula of measure "Missing count" as below:

Missing Count = 
VAR _selections =
VAR _countofPeriod =
    COUNTROWS ( _selections )
RETURN
    CALCULATE (
        DISTINCTCOUNT ( 'Employee List'[Employee Name] ),
        'Employee List'[Timesheet Required] = "Yes"
    ) * _countofPeriod
        - CALCULATE (
            FILTER (
                ALL ( 'Timesheet Hours' ),
            )
        )

Missing count.JPG

Best Regards

Rena

@v-yiruan-msft  Oh my goodness, thank you so much!!! That worked wonderfully! Looks like I need to learn more about VAR because that has been appearing a lot. Thanks again, I realy really appreciate your help!

marceloVVR
Helper I
Helper I

I don't understand, do you need to return the blank values?

if so.
use one if
example: standard sum calculation, if (calculation= blank (); 0; calculation)

😶

I apologize if I'm not explaining it well. So as seen in the picture in my original post, I like that I am now able to see the employees that are missing, pending, or approved. I'm trying to get to where I can see the count of those that are "Missing", "Approved", or "Pending" as seen in this screenshot I found (In progress timesheets would be equivalent to my pending):

Timesheet Count.PNG

Thanks!

So, if it's a calculation using a value as a filter,

try:

Measure = CALCULATE(COUNT(table[Column]),FILTER(table,[Approval]="Pending"))

@marceloVVR  Thank you for your reply! I was able to get this to work too! I'm awaiting reply from the other person helping with this before I accept one of the replies as the solution. Thanks again! 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.