Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Brendan_PBI
Regular Visitor

Help: While using DirectQuery mode, the maximum number of groups is ten.

Hi all,

I am trying to create groups in DirectQuery mode for analysis (connected to a SQL server) and I am limited to 10. I realistically need 20 or so, is there any way around this limitation? I know I can write a big SWITCH statement by pulling the DAX underlying it but the values in the groups will change and whoever updates the report in the future will need to know which values are ungrouped and may not be able to write DAX. It seems a bit rediculous, is there a setting of some sort to increase it, or is someone able to suggest any other method that is user friendly enough that someone can update the report to include new values into groups with simple instructions?

Brendan_PBI_0-1629363330335.png

Thank you.

8 REPLIES 8
NemesisMF
Frequent Visitor

Is there any update to this? I am running into the same issue. 10 is a ridiculously low limit for the number of groups.

v-henryk-mstf
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Brendan_PBI ,

Can you provide more information, such as the basis for grouping and the expected grouping result. Normally, powerbi's own grouping function can meet most needs.

related document link: Use grouping and binning in Power BI Desktop - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Best Regards,
Henry

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi,

I am using the default grouping functionality as shown in that link. However, it is limiting me to 10 groups. I am organising different labels into separate groups so that they can be analysed together.

Hi @Brendan_PBI ,

Go to File > Options and Settings > Options. In the Current File section in the left pane, select Published dataset settings.Try to expand the number of max connections.

vhenrykmstf_0-1629790064607.png

related document link:

Using DirectQuery in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

If the problem is still not resolved, please provide detailed error information and let me know immediately. Looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards,
Henry

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

This issue does not look like a resolve has been created for Direct Query users. When using the Create new group function on a column, Power Bi Desktop only allows 10 groups to be created. This is very limiting, especially if you do not own the data source. Is this being addressed in an upcoming update? The maximum connections that you are pointing too, does not address the group creation.

Safety_J_0-1706979445832.png

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Brendan_PBI , means you are using more than 10 unsummarized columns. What action is this giving this issue.

Hi @amitchandak ,

I am just using the default grouping feature:

Brendan_PBI_0-1629419326939.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

Did you find solution for this as i am also facing same issue

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.