Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

ongzph
Frequent Visitor

Help: Using earlier row values as condition

Sorry if the question title sounds confusing; I'm not really sure how to phrase it nicely. It's my first time doing this kind of work so due apologies if anything is phrased confusingly.

I have a table in PowerBI that combines both aggregated and individual data. An example dataset is as such:

Capture.PNG

I'd like to add a column that references the country each City/Country belongs to, as such:

Capture2.PNG

But I don't really know how to find the nearest earlier row that contains "Country" as the categorical value. Is there any way to do this in a calculated column via DAX?

On a separate note, I can split the tables up into a City and Country table, but because there are a lot of duplicates in the City Table I'd like to avoid that if possible.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
MarcelBeug
Community Champion
Community Champion

This is the kind of data shaping to be done with M (Power Query), not with DAX.

In "Edit queries", add column "Country" with formula

if [CountryOrCity] = "Country" then [Location] else null

Next, go to the Tranform tab, make sure the new Country column is selected, and choose Fill - Fill Down.

Specializing in Power Query Formula Language (M)

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
MarcelBeug
Community Champion
Community Champion

This is the kind of data shaping to be done with M (Power Query), not with DAX.

In "Edit queries", add column "Country" with formula

if [CountryOrCity] = "Country" then [Location] else null

Next, go to the Tranform tab, make sure the new Country column is selected, and choose Fill - Fill Down.

Thanks for the help! I originally derived the Country/City column as a calculated column so doing it via Power Query wasn't intuitive to me but your answer brought me back to the right track.

On a separate note, does that also mean that there is no good way of doing this via a calculated column rather than via M?

In my view, it is not a good way to do it in DAX.

Then again, it might still be possible in DAX, but that's not my expertise, so I just don't know and I leave the answer to that question to the DAX experts over here.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.