Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

braybrookj
Helper I
Helper I

Help: Text Cleansing with R

Hi Guys,

I'm trying to cleanse my data in Power BI with R. The data comes from a SQL query and then in power query I'm using the "Run R Script" as a final step.

I have 6 columns of data (Score [int], Date [date], Comments [varchar(max)], username [varchar(20)], Language [varchar(20)] and Source [int].

I'm new to R so this could be simple or I may be barking up the wrong tree completely. The R script I have attempted is:

# 'dataset' holds the input data for this script
library(tm)
library(wordcloud)
words <- Corpus(VectorSource(dataset[,3]))
words <- tm_map(words, stripWhitespace)
words <- tm_map(words, content_transformer(tolower))
words <- tm_map(words, removeNumbers)
words <- tm_map(words, removePunctuation)
words <- tm_map(words, removeWords, stopwords("english"))
words <- tm_map(words, stemDocument)
output <- dataset
output$cleansed <- words

It outputs all original columns as per before the R Script EXCEPT the date column which returns "Microsoft.OleDb.Date" for every value. The final column "Cleansed" just returns null.

Any ideas on what needs to be changed to get this to work?

Cheers

3 REPLIES 3
alanhodgson
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

Hey @braybrookj,

I just used the code above and had no issues creating the visual (see below). What is the date column formatting? Mine is formatted as data type Date, format M/d/yyyy, "Do Not Summarize".

wordcloud.PNG

Hope this helps,

Alan

Hi @alanhodgson

Thanks for the response.

The issue I have is that I publish a data model to the service and build a collection of reports in the based off a common data model. R Visuals cannot be created in the service.

I'm trying to use the R script in power query to cleanse the data within teh data model and then use the Wordcloud custom visual.

Any thoughts on this process?

James

UPDATE

I have overcome the formatting issue by making every column text before running the R scipt, I will then re-format the columns after the script has run.

I'm still having issues with the script though:

# 'dataset' holds the input data for this script
library(tm)
library(wordcloud)
words <- Corpus(VectorSource(dataset[,3]))
words <- tm_map(words, stripWhitespace)
words <- tm_map(words, content_transformer(tolower))
words <- tm_map(words, removeNumbers)
words <- tm_map(words, removePunctuation)
words <- tm_map(words, removeWords, stopwords("english"))
output <- dataset
output$text <- data.frame(text = sapply(words, as.character), stringsAsFactors = FALSE)

The output i get is my original 6 columns, plus a 7th column named "text". This column however is populated with null except for the first row which has an error.

DataFormat.Error: We cannot convert this value from its .RData representation.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.