Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Help / Support - Bar+Line Chart with multiple lines

Hi Community, 

I have an interesting challenge that has probably happened to most of the developers. 

Here's what I want to achieve and the issues that I am encountering, while doing it: 

1) I am building a visual where my Bar+Line chart should present as in the attached image (See below). These categories are in the same table, and my customer built this in excel, using 3 of the fields to build the line series. 

2) What I have tried so far: 

Created a group to isolate these 3 line measures, then filtered the visual (to remove these from the columns and have them only in lines). Issue is that the moment I filter the visual, they are also removed from the line series. 

Created 3 different measures to isolate them from the original field ((to remove these from the columns and have them only in lines). Issue is that the moment I filter the visual, they are also removed from the line series. 

Can anyone please help me? I spent a day trying so many different options. I have checked other articles here and videos, but none are similar to what I need to achieve. 

Thank you so much! 

Nelson 

Community.JPG

10 REPLIES 10
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

I'd like to suggest you use line and stacked column chart to achieve your requirement. It support use legend field and multiple line fields at same time.

Sample:

20.PNG

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there, 

Thank you for the suggestion. That's the one I am using. Perhaps I have not made myself clear as to what is the main issue. 

The problem is that the data that I want to show in those lines, are the same field. So the problem is, when I drag the field to the lines and filter to only show that specific attribute, it also filters the columns. 

Here's what I want, show the values in line and filter them out in those bars

In the following example, the blue line corresponds to the red bar volume, how do I filter it and only show the line, considering what I have mentioned above ? 

Thank you!! 

Kind Regards,

Nelson 

Community2.JPG

Anonymous
Not applicable

And this is what happens when I filter out (only from the bars) the values that I have in lines. 

On the right, you can see that I have the measures created and added as line values, but because they refer to the same values as in bars, they get filtered out. 

Anyone knows a solution for this ? 

Much appreciated! 

Community3.JPG

Hi @Anonymous,

It seems like your graph has been filter and line value are too small to display on current y axis.

Unfortunately, current this visual not contains any 'break down' axis features, I'd like to suggest you turn on use secondary to display line graph on another y axis unit to solve this scenario.

1.PNG

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi XiaoXin, 

Thanks for your support. In fact, that has helped me to bring my line values to the position where they should. However my main difficulty isn't solved yet. 

I bring those line values in, however I cannot filter them out of the bar values 😞 I have tried a million things... I would really like that someone came into this difficulty and could help me. 

Here's how it looks right now: 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Community9.JPG

HI @Anonymous,

Hmm, did you means display these number labels and data point on graph?
If you this is a case, you can turn on 'data label' option and 'show marker' option to achieve this.

6.PNG

If not help, can you please explain more about which properties you wanted to be filtered?

Regards,
Xiaoxin Sheng

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Xiaoxin, 

Thanks for your reply. 

That is partially what I need to achieve. I would like to see only the line data labels, how do I do this ? Tried to search online but did not get to a solution. 

Community11.JPG

Also, nobody seems to know the solution for what I need. I think this is worth looking into. Those line calculated fields are also in the bars, I need to filter them out of the bars. Anyone knows !? 

Thank yoy very much! 

Kind Regards

Nelson 

Hi @Anonymous,

Nope, current you can use options to setting line series data label display or not, bar label cannot be customized.

>>nobody seems to know the solution for what I need. I think this is worth looking into. Those line calculated fields are also in the bars, I need to filter them out of the bars. Anyone knows !? 

I think it is impossible to achieve this requirement.  For bar and line chart, line fields and column fields summarize values based on same category column.  So if you filter on axis fields, it will filter on both line and bar values. (you can try to add 'all' function into measure, but it will also ignore all filter effects)

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you very much for your help. 

Have a great 2019!! 

Cheers

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.