Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

krepp

Help! Prior Year to Date - Power BI Best Practices?

My question for you all is around dates. Let's say I have 5 measures (sales, average order size, frequency, active customers, order count) that I want to include in a table. I want the measures going horizontally across the top of the table. I then want to compare these measures YOY, so I want 2019 YTD compared to 2018 YTD. I want actual numbers and variances. I see there is a calculation for same period last year, however, is this truly the best way to get what I want? Do I really need to create a separate calculated measure for every metric twice? Once for 2018 YTD and once for the variances? Tableau has the ability to do this all through calculated tables without ANY manual measure calculations. Is there no way to control this with date filters alone, so I can have a singular table? I feel like I have to have 3 separte tables for this year, prior year, and variances and hide column headers to get the measures all aligned. Additionally, when I change my date selection to 2018, I want the table to reflect full year 2018 compared to full year 2017. 

Thanks in advance for the help!! I am new to Power BI. Making the switch from Tableau. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-chuncz-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@krepp 

You may take a look at the following posts.

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-chuncz-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@krepp 

You may take a look at the following posts.

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.