Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jyeager
Helper I
Helper I

Help Needed! Data Aggregation / Summing Two Measures

Hello All! I am having some trouble with a measure I've named "planned points". The measure is simply multiplying [points per pour] and [planned pours]. It actually works as written. In "Screenshot 1" below you see that the measure is taking [points per pour] * [planned pours] to get [planned points]. Similarly in Screenshot 2 it is doing the same.

This issue I am having is that when I remove the [job_id] field from the visual I want to show total [planned points] by plant (i.e. a sum of the [planned points] by [job_id]) NOT total [points per pour] times total [planned pours]. Are there any dax functions that would help me aggregate the data in my [planned points] measure how I have described? Any help is appreeciated! Thank you!

Screenshot 1:

capture1.PNG

Screenshot 2:

Notice that the measure is working correctly to multiply [points per pour] and [planned pours]. However, I want to show the sum of the [planned points] per [job_id]. 

6 REPLIES 6
zoloturu
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Hi @jyeager ,

If job_id is a grain of data then you can simply use SUMX:

= SUMX( 'YourTable', [points per hour] * [planned hours])

Regards,
Ruslan Zolotukhin (zoloturu)
BI Engineer at Akvelon Inc. / Kharkiv Power BI User Group Leader / DAX & Power BI Trainer
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
It was useful? Press Thumbs Up!

You are from Ukraine? If yes then welcome to Power BI User Group - KhPUG website. Other country? Check and find proper one - Power BI User Groups

Hi @zoloturu 

Thanks for the quick response! SUMX did not work. Its worth noting that the [points per pour] and [planned pours] fields are measure themselves:

• [points per pour] = CALCULATE(SUM('database-pbi'[value]),'datbase-pbi'[category]="points per pour")
  • [planned pours] = CALCULATE(SUM('database-pbi'[value]),'datbase-pbi'[category]="planned pours")

Here is the result when I tried SUMX (measure was titled "NEW planned points":

capture3.PNG

Any other thoughts/suggestions? Thanks again!

JY

Hi @jyeager ,

You can still calculate it in a measure. I did similar many times:

new planned points = 
VAR __CurrentRowMonth = MAX('Date'[Month])
VAR __CurrentRowPlant = MAX('...'[plant])
VAR __TempTable = SUMMARIZE('database-pbi','Date'[Month],'...'[plant],"planned points",[points per hour]*[planned pours])
VAR __TempTable2 = FILTER(__TempTable,[Month] = __CurrentRowMonth, [plant] = __CurrentRowPlant)

RETURN
    SUMX(__TempTable2, [planned points])

Just correct table names in quotes.

Regards,
BI Engineer at Akvelon Inc. / Kharkiv Power BI User Group Leader / DAX & Power BI Trainer

You are from Ukraine? If yes then welcome to Power BI User Group - KhPUG website. Other country? Check and find proper one - Power BI User Groups

Thanks @amitchandak  and @zoloturu 

I am getting blanks in the created column [planned points] and I think it is becuase the way the table is set-up. Below you will see that I a values column and a category column. It makes sense that when I just try to multiple the two created columns ([planned pours] and [points per pour]) I get a blank for my result ([planned points]). Any other thoughts here? It's like I need to place filters on the sum statements so that it is multiplying [month]&[job_id] of [planned pours] and [month]&[job_id] of [points per pour].... I think that can only be done in a measure though.

capture4.PNG

@jyeager ,

Did you tried a measure which I advised you earlier? (Don't create it as a column, it should be a measure).

Regards,

First create two columns in table

table column 1 = if(datbase-pbi'[category]="planned pours" ,'database-pbi'[value]),blank)

table column 2= if(datbase-pbi'[category]="points per pour" ,'database-pbi'[value]),blank)

You can multiple in 3rd column or use sumx.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.