Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Help :(Need to do YOY calculation, however do I need a date table to do this, is there a workaround?

I am very very new to PowerBI and I'm still getting my head around it, please pardon my ignorance

I have a data set

Shoe Type | FY13 FY14 FY15 FY16 | Total 

Heels         20     30     10     50      110

Flats            5      10     20     15       50

Trainers      50     50     70    100    270

I would like to show YOY percentage growth i.e. growth from FY15 to FY16 FOR "Heels" or from FY14 TO FY15 for "trainers". My companies financial year runs from June to June. Is there a way to have the YOY calculation, so that it updates with slicer selection, however without using a calendar table? I have been trying without success to create a calendar table and I was wondering if there is a simpler way to do this and have this automatically update for selections without creating a measure for each shoe type and for each FY year. 

Thanks in advance 

Pangea 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-sihou-msft
Employee
Employee

@Anonymous

In your scenario, it looks like your are using a matrix to render your data. Since you always need to compare the sales with previous year, you can create a calculated column for previous year data. I suggest you use a numeric column to store fiscal year instead of "FY xx".

Previous Year Sales = 
CALCULATE(
SUM(Table[Sales]),
FILTER(Table,
Table[Fiscal Year]=EARLIER(Table[Fiscal Year])-1 && Table[Shoe Types]=EARLIER(Table[Shoe Types])
)
)

Then you can create your YOY calculation based on above column.

Growth = CALCULATE(SUM(Table[Sales])-SUM(Table[Previous Year Sales]))/CALCULATE(SUM(Table[Previous Year Sales]))

If you apply slicer for Shoe Types, this measure can be sliced with your selection as well.

Regards,

Simon Hou

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-sihou-msft
Employee
Employee

@Anonymous

In your scenario, it looks like your are using a matrix to render your data. Since you always need to compare the sales with previous year, you can create a calculated column for previous year data. I suggest you use a numeric column to store fiscal year instead of "FY xx".

Previous Year Sales = 
CALCULATE(
SUM(Table[Sales]),
FILTER(Table,
Table[Fiscal Year]=EARLIER(Table[Fiscal Year])-1 && Table[Shoe Types]=EARLIER(Table[Shoe Types])
)
)

Then you can create your YOY calculation based on above column.

Growth = CALCULATE(SUM(Table[Sales])-SUM(Table[Previous Year Sales]))/CALCULATE(SUM(Table[Previous Year Sales]))

If you apply slicer for Shoe Types, this measure can be sliced with your selection as well.

Regards,

Simon Hou

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you Simon, really appreciate the help. 

Smiley Happy

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.