Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Help! I have rubbish data!

Hello all,

I don't even konow how to title this request, and I can't formulate a question to even search on, so sorry for this. 

What it is, is that I get so much data in Excel form that conforms to this standard, as it is easier to track projects like this. The jobs are all listed out, then as someone completes them, they put the date in and their name.  However, I need to be able to convert that into nice visaualisations to show how many have been done by a particular person in a particular week. So it is not just getting running totals for the dates, but linking that to each person and how many they have done each week. Plus it is not just the latest week, so I cannot just filter the last seven days and count each name. I need to show each week for each person.   Here is some sample data.

Job Completed By
Job 1 22/10/2020 Tom
Job 2 11/11/2020 **bleep**
Job 3    
Job 4 14/10/2020 Harry
Job 5    
Job 6    
Job 7 30/10/2020 **bleep**
Job 8 06/11/2020 Tom
Job 9 29/09/2020 Tom
Job 10 14/10/2020 Harry
Job 11 03/11/2020 Tom
Job 12    
Job 13 19/11/2020 Harry
Job 14 14/09/2020 **bleep**
Job 15    
Job 16    
Job 17    
Job 18 01/10/2020 Tom
Job 19 02/11/2020 Harry
Job 20 27/10/2020 Harry
Job 21 01/11/2020 **bleep**
Job 22 02/10/2020 Tom
Job 23    
Job 24 01/10/2020 Tom
Job 25 02/11/2020 **bleep**
Job 26 27/10/2020 Harry
Job 27 01/11/2020 Harry
Job 28 02/10/2020 **bleep**
Job 29 27/10/2020 Tom

I would be very grateful for any suggestions.

P.S. MS are being very PC friendly here,  **bleep** = a shortend version of Richard 😉 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
edhans
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous - You need a data table to do this.

edhans_0-1606150655873.png

The DAX is simple. It ignores any data with no completed date, otherwise, it counts by the user within the week. This date table is set to start the weeks on Sunday, but you can change it per the directions here
Here is my PBIX file so you can see the whole thing.

Count of Data = 
IF(
    ISBLANK(MAX('Data Table'[Completed])),
    BLANK(),
    COUNTROWS('Data Table')
)

I recommend a date table in Power Query when possible, and it seems to be in this case. The link above gives you the quick copy/paste version for Power Query and you can easily change it to suit your needs.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @Anonymous,

Did these 'job id' duplicates on your table records? If this is a case, you can consider creating a table visual with 'job id' and logged user name as category and count of 'job id' fields.

It should summarize these records based on the 'job id' and 'user name' groups.
Then you can use the completed date field as the source of the slicer to filter specific date ranges of records and setting a 'value level filter' on table visual to remove records with blank computer date/user.
Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
edhans
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous - You need a data table to do this.

edhans_0-1606150655873.png

The DAX is simple. It ignores any data with no completed date, otherwise, it counts by the user within the week. This date table is set to start the weeks on Sunday, but you can change it per the directions here
Here is my PBIX file so you can see the whole thing.

Count of Data = 
IF(
    ISBLANK(MAX('Data Table'[Completed])),
    BLANK(),
    COUNTROWS('Data Table')
)

I recommend a date table in Power Query when possible, and it seems to be in this case. The link above gives you the quick copy/paste version for Power Query and you can easily change it to suit your needs.

Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

MCSA: BI Reporting
mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

Lauged at loud at the explanation of **bleep**.  Your data are not rubbish.  In fact, they look perfectly formatted for analysis.  You just need to add a simple calendar table to your model with columns for week, month, year, etc. and make a relationship between it and your Completed column.  Then you can start making all the visuals you need.

Creating a simple date table in DAX - SQLBI

Regards,

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous ,

Create a calendar table and make a relationship with the complete date now use the values to make your visualization has you need.

https://www.sqlbi.com/articles/creating-a-simple-date-table-in-dax/

Regards

Miguel Félix

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.