Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Hanshans
Helper I
Helper I

Help - Excel data not refreshing

Hello

I'm hoping someone can help solve this problem. I have a report that is built in the desktop app and shared with Power BI service.

The main data source is Excel (one workbook with many worksheets), with some other data coming from Sharepoint lists and forms libraries. I regularly change/add to the data in the excel worksheets and have successful refreshed the data and visuals in the desktop app many many times. 

However, today the refresh is not working and I can't figure out why. 

The Excel Workbook is stored in my OneDrive

I have made sure that changes to the workbook are saved before I close it (both through autosaving and manually). I have subsequently checked the workbook/worksheets are the changes are still showing

There are no filters on any of the data tables in the Excel workbook

There are no filters on any of the data tables in Power BI query editor

There are no filters on any of the data in the Report view. 

All of the visuals in the report that rely on data from that Excel workbook are not updating. Refresh in Power BI works as normal, i.e no error code obtained, but the data is not changing in the Power Query.

Any one got any ideas? I have deadline to meet so helping me sort this is out much appreciated

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Hanshans , create a new connect in a new pbix and check if it working.

You can check any known issue at https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/idb-p/Issues

@amitchandak just made a new connection to the Excel workbook in a new Power BI file. Really interesting. A normally connection is made but when I bring in a couple of the tables from the workbook, it is showing the data in Excel prior to the changes I made.

This suggests that the changes have not been saved in Excel but when I go back into the workbook check, all the changes are there.

Why would PBI only be able to connect to the old data and not the new data in the file? I feel like I am missing something but don't know what!

Hi @Hanshans ,

Can I ask you a few questions?

• What connector do you use? Excel or Web?
  • Does you encounter this issue in Desktop Query Editor?
  • Is the report working fine in Service? Is there any refresh history?
  • What version of Desktop do you use?

Can you please share a sample or the steps that you tried? Then we can reproduce it. Thanks!

Best Regards,
Xue Ding
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Sujit_Thakur
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

@Hanshans 

@

Can you share any error code which came when it didn't refre

Hi Sujit

No error code. All refreshed as normally but the data is not changing in Power Query.

Thans

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.