Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

sh856531
Regular Visitor

Help Avoiding A Circular Dependency

Hi all,

I am having an issue understanding how to get out of a circular dependency in 4 simple tables. Currently I get the error saying that I cant make a particular relationship active because it would introduce ambuguity. I think this is because if you look at the small model I have, enabling the highlighted relationship would make the whole thing circular.

Circular ReferencesCircular References

My issue is essentially that I have an Employee table and I want to be able to associate those employees with various things, specifically Support Tickets, Feedback, Qualifications and so on. So employee needs a relationship to all of those tables. However I also want to be able limit the analysis of these tables by a common date table, so that I can say "# Ticket, Qualifications, Feedback received in the past 90 days" etc.  So I am trying to link the Date table to all these things as well. As soon as I try to do that I get my "ambiguity" problem

Given that what I'm doing is fairly straightforrward there must be a simple way that this is avoided or I am misunderstanding how to use relationships properly.

Can anyone advise?

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@sh856531 ,

About how to avoid circular dependency in power bi, I would suggest you to read article below:

https://www.sqlbi.com/articles/avoiding-circular-dependency-errors-in-dax/

Community Support Team _ Jimmy Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
sh856531
Regular Visitor

In case it helps you can see roughly what I'm after. The employee has various aggregate values calculated but at the moment they are not being managed by a common date. So the Reopen Rate column for example is showing the reopen rate for all time, not say the past 30/90/180 days.PowerBI Issue.PNG

@sh856531 ,

About how to avoid circular dependency in power bi, I would suggest you to read article below:

https://www.sqlbi.com/articles/avoiding-circular-dependency-errors-in-dax/

Community Support Team _ Jimmy Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.