Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Hello folks, need help in dynamically filtering out my Data Lake connection string Power BI Embedded

I have my requirement like, embedding Power BI report in to our application. Our report is getting data from Data Lake directly with connection string. I have a static parameter created in Power BI Desktop to manually type the customer id into it and then refresh the report, so that my report will have all the datasets coming from the Data Lake connection string filtered as per that customer id.

Now, my requirement is to dynamically provide the customer id into the parameter.

a) As a developer when I need to prepare a report to a specific customer, I am just manually giving the customer id in that parameter value and refreshing the report. But now, this manual intervention should be taken away and my report has to dynamically capture the customer id based on username or userprincipalname and pass that customer id in that parameter value dynamically. How can I achieve this and what should I implement in Power BI Desktop and Power BI Service to achieve this?

b) Should I use any row level security and how far it is reliable in my case, since my report is to be embedded into another Azure App? If so, what type of query I should use to create roles in my Desktop report?

c) Or should I modify my embed url dynamically in such a way that it can capture the customer id of the logged in customer and passes that customer id into the Data Lake connection string? If so, what modifications to be done in the embed url and how the user access to be given as View? Also, in this case, should I delete the customer id parameter in Power BI Desktop file?

Please let me know, if someone has an approach or solution to this.

Thanks

Lakshmi K

1 REPLY 1

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.