Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

philpringuer
Frequent Visitor

Heirarchies - summing 'up' works for numbers - but NOT for percentages

Hi Team - any help appreciated.

I've a tonne of raw data pertaining to planned burning - around 2,000 rows of data; one row per burn.

We plan to burn in 'zones' - e.g. for Asset Protection, or Bushfire Moderation, or Landscape Management.

Each Burn belongs to one of about 20 Districts (physical land masses - like a Suburb).

Each District belongs to one of five Regions (larger land masses - like States).

Per District, per Zone, we aspire to burn a certain amount - called a Program Area.

Per District, per Zone, we actually burn a (likely) lesser amount - the Area Treated.

So we have a heiarchy - Region --> District --> Zone.

I've managed to create a matrix, with that heirarchy as ROW headings.

And columns, summarising:

• Program Area and
  • Area Treated and 
  • Total Area as % of Program (dividing one by the other).

Program Area and Area Treated  roll-up in the heirarchy as hoped, by summing: which is correct.

Total Area as % of Program also sums: which is NOT correct.

e.g. 4% achievement for Zone 1, and 6% achievement for Zone 2, does NOT equal (4+6)=10% for the District!

Average is not appropriate either ... avg(4,6)=5%

Is my heirarchy approach doomed when trying to determine the % achievement at each level?
i.e. is it doomed to try to show total counts, and total %s, in the one heirarchical matrix?

Or is my approach wrong?

Counts work...

Counts roll-up fineCounts roll-up finePercentage achievements at Zone level work fine ... but roll-up totals aren't appropriate / are inaccuratePercentage achievements at Zone level work fine ... but roll-up totals aren't appropriate / are inaccurate

I'm analysing data held in calculated COLUMNS, rather than using MEASURES.
Perhaps that's at the heart of my problem (?)

phil

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Xiaoxin - I lack the English language skills to summarise my problem well.

Hold off helping for now - i'll do a bit more study before bothering you and the community.

Thanks for your offer of support!

phil

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @philpringuer ,

It seems like a common measure total level calculation issue, can you please share some sample data with expected result to help us clarify your requirement and do test on these sample data?

Notice: do mask on sensitive data.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hi Xiaoxin - I lack the English language skills to summarise my problem well.

Hold off helping for now - i'll do a bit more study before bothering you and the community.

Thanks for your offer of support!

phil

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.