Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

amoore5156
Frequent Visitor

Having an 'Unexpected Error' when Trying To Publish a Report

When trying to publish reports to the Power BI web service, the publishing process has been failing for an 'unkown reason'. I recently uninstalled and reinstalled Power BI Desktop with no success in fixing the issue, and I've also tried importing the report via the Power BI web service as well. I have successfully published several practice reports about two weeks ago, so this issue is a recent occurence only.

Does any one have any suggestions for fixing the issue? The error is unfortunately vague, so I don't have any clue what is causing the issue.

I have copied the error details if any one would like to see them, but I won't post them here to avoid muddying the post.

12 REPLIES 12
mattamgh

I am also getting this error when i try to publish. Anyone find a solution?

kcantor
Community Champion
Community Champion

And now it has rolled on down through the system. I have the same issue.

Has anyone else filed a ticket yet?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

fishleaf
Helper II
Helper II

Hi,

I have the same error today. For no reasons my file doesn't work. Maybe their servers have problems now. 

Nevermind, we're experiancing the same issues. Something is borked with the Service...

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG
kcantor
Community Champion
Community Champion

If you uninstalled and reinstalled the desktop software, did you update the gateway to match the current version of the desktop software? If they do not match it can cause it to fail.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

@amoore5156 There are no issues with the reports rendering in the Desktop? What is your data source, and is it the same as it was when you did the practice publish? Was this an existing file that you added to, or was it a brand new PBIX?

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

@Seth_C_Bauer Correct, I am not having any issues with the report on the desktop application. The data source I'm using is just a CSV file so there shouldn't be any permission or connection issues there. I have previously uploaded reports with CSV, Access databases and Excel sheets with no issues. I have also tried reoploading old PBIX files with new names, and fresh PBIX files, both give the same issue.

Hi @amoore5156,

Power BI Service has been updated no long ago. Would you mind republishing the .pbix file again from Power BI Desktop to Power BI Service, or connecting to .pbix file in Power BI Service directly to check if you are able to get the report?

In addition, from this article ( Re-publish or replace a dataset published from Power BI Desktop ), "If you already have two or more datasets in Power BI with the same name as the Power BI Desktop file, publish could fail. Make sure you have only one dataset in Power BI with the same name. You can also rename the file and publish, creating a new dataset with same name as the file."  As you have published practice reports before, it would be better if you could check dataset both in Power BI desktop and service.

If you have any question, please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, Please share us how you resolve the problem.

Today I also got the problem 'Unexpected Error' when Publish

Anonymous
Not applicable

resolved by restart Power BI Desktop

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi, Please share us how you resolve the problem.

Today I also got the problem 'Unexpected Error' when Publish

sdjensen
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

I know this will not help you right away but did you try to send a frown to the Power BI support team when you get the error. I have done this a few times and every time I had an answer within a few days.

/sdjensen

@sdjensen Thanks for the suggestion, I have done this now.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.