Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jdobro
Frequent Visitor

Have specific value included in measure regardless of slicers on that column

I was having trouble putting my problem into words for a good title, but I hope I can detail here exactly what I'm looking to achieve.
Let's say I have tables: a student table, questions/answer table, and a student response table where a student id is mapped to a question/answer id.  This report includes multiple semesters and each semester contains multiple units, all of which I want to be able to filter on for my visuals.

The student[cohort] can contain one of the following values: "Graduate", "Undergraduate","unassigned"

The questions/answer[cohort] column can contain: "Graduate", "Undergraduate", or "All".  Only specific items are cohorted, so the vast majority are "All"

Though, for both of these, there could be potentially other cohorts added.

For the purpose of my question, I want to focus on the questions/answers table, but I wanted to detail the other tables to get an idea of how they are related and that I will likely use the student[cohort] to interact with the questions[cohort], for example finding average student course completeion, which would be innaccurate if I don't use count based on cohorts.

I would like to get a count of how many question/answers total based on the cohort associated with that question.  My simple solution is something like this:
COUNTROWS(FILTER(questions/answers, [cohort] <> "All")) + COUNTROWS(FILTER(questions/answers, [cohort] == "All))

However filtering based on cohorts breaks down as "All" is considered a separate cohort, so if I wanted to do something like have a clustered column chart with the count as values, semester as the axis, and cohort as the legend, there would be 3 bars per cluster and All would outnumber everything.  I considered making a calculated table that had a column that would sum based on cohort + "All", but this loses a lot of flexibility.  If I had a slicer that allowed selection of the cohort, "All" would need to be always on and only one other cohort could be selected at a time. 
The last thing I can think of would be on the data end, where I could parse a new row for both Undergrad and Grad instead of a single row that has a cohort of 'All'.  This would eliminate the problem, but then I would be at best doubling nearly every row of my question/answer table with mostly redundant data.  This would also break things for "unassigned" students which can interact with everything in the course I have labeled as 'All' and just can't see the cohorted questions.

Any advice is welcome, thank you!

1 REPLY 1
MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @jdobro ,

This is a question of context when you are making a measure the calculation is based on the filters, aggregations, columns and other information that you have interacting with your visuals, when you want to overwrite those filters you need to use and ALL or ALLSELECTED or a KEEPFILTERS in order to overcome the context.

in your case I belive that what you need to do is to change the filter to the following syntax:

COUNTROWS(FILTER(questions/answers, [cohort] <> "All")) + COUNTROWS(FILTER(ALL(questions/answers), [cohort] == "All))

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.